Councillor outraged at ‘disgusting’ number of colleges not paying Oxford Living Wage

first_imgAs part of its commitment to promote and support the paymentof the Oxford Living Wage, the Council is preparing to launch its own OxfordLiving Wage accreditation scheme. Currently no Oxford colleges are signed up to the Oxford Living Wage scheme. Of the PPHs, only two – Campion Hall and Blackfriars – are currently signed up to pay the rate, according to the council. Oxford University has been contacted for comment. 17 of Oxford’s 38 colleges and Oxford University are signed up to pay the Real Living Wage, according to the Living Wage Foundation. This is set at £9.00 per hour. Earlier this week the Council flew the Oxford Living Wageflag for the first time to mark the increase in its minimum hourly pay rates toover £10. Susan Brown, Leader of Oxford City Council, has said she will be writing to the wealthiest Oxford colleges after calling the number of colleges paying the Oxford Living Wage ‘disgusting’. In the letters, Ms Brown will be asking the colleges whether they can pay the Oxford Living Wage to their lowest-earning staff. Mary Clarkson, executive board member for culture and thecity centre, told the Oxford Mail: “I’mashamed of my old college, St John’s. Next time they ask me for donations, I’lltell them they’ll get no money from me until they pay the Oxford Living Wage.” The Oxford Living Wage scheme, run by the Council, has beenset up to encourage companies to pay a fair wage that reflects costs of livingin Oxford. It is set at 95% of the Living Wage in London. The rate was raisedto £10.02 per hour on 1st April, to reflect a rise in the LondonLiving Wage.last_img read more

Saint Mary’s commencement moved online, alternative celebration to occur fall 2020

first_imgCommencement for the Saint Mary’s class of 2020 will take place virtually May 16 at noon, Interim President Nancy Nekvasil announced Thursday in an email.In addition to the virtual ceremony, the College plans to host a face-to-face ceremony in the fall.“The fall date would allow enough time for some of the traditions so important to you as well as participating in a commencement ceremony,” Nekvasil said in the email.The email contained a link to a survey for students to select a date for the face-to-face ceremony that will work best for them.“Saint Mary’s College is asking for input from the class of 2020 for an alternative commencement celebration,” the survey said. “This is in addition to the virtual ceremony held on May 16, 2020. This two-day celebration will begin on a Friday with tower tours, handprints, opening of the circle and a walk down the Avenue followed by a graduation ceremony offered on Saturday.”Nekvasil offered an alternative should the plans for a gathering later in 2020 fall through.“If for any reason we are unable to have the fall face-to-face commencement, we will invite your participation in Reunion late May/early June of 2021,” she said in the email. “Even though you will not be at your five-year mark, we think that would be a very special time for you to gather as a class. We don’t have this worked out, but I wanted you to know so you can plan.”Tags: Class of 2020, Commencement, Interim President Nancy Nekvasil, Saint Mary’s Collegelast_img read more

Dominica opposition withdraws motion of no confidence against Prime Minister

first_imgOpposition leader Lennox Linton says he has withdrawn a motion of no confidence in Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit after complaining that his original motion had been amended “to the point where I could not recognize the motion anymore.”Linton, speaking at a public meeting  on Tuesday night, said that the motion was due to have been debated in the Parliament next week.That motion was totally re-organized and changed and new words brought in and new format adopted to the point where I couldn’t recognize the motion anymore.“And so I have asked that the motion be withdrawn. The one that they have standing in my name, which is not my motion, I have asked that it be withdrawn,” he told party supporters.Linton took the opportunity to thank the regional and international community that came to the assistance of Dominica when it was ravaged by Hurricane Maria last year, killing 30 people and leaving 30 others missing. The hurricane was also blamed for the millions of dollars in infrastructural damage.“We thank all those who rallied in support of us. It was a tremendous outpouring of charity from a world community that saw us struggling and decided it was going to be there with us.‘We ask ourselves one year later what lessons did we learn from Maria. If Maria demonstrated to us charity from around the world like we have never seen before how did that help us in Dominica?. Well we saw our brothers and sisters looking out for each other in Dominica…and we saw our government in some way trying its best, but in many ways making a mess,” Linton said.last_img read more

Monk hails Swansea’s ‘history makers’ after sealing league double over Man United

first_img1 Swansea manager Garry Monk hailed his ‘history making’ side after they claimed the club’s first-ever Premier League double over Manchester United.The Jacks followed up their opening day victory at Old Trafford with another 2-1 victory on Saturday, as the hosts came from behind to win at the Liberty Stadium.Ander Herrera put United in front in the first-half but South Korea international Ki Sung-yueng equalised within two minutes, and Jonjo Shelvey saw his 73rd minute strike deflected past David de Gea off the head of Bafetimbi Gomis to seal the three points.It was only a second win in eight league games for the Swans, and Monk admitted he took huge satisfaction from beating the Premier League giants again.“We’ve created history by taking six points off United and we’ve performed extremely well to do it,” said the boss.“To do the double over United for the first time in our history, everyone connected with the club should be extremely proud of that.”Man United manager Louis van Gaal said he was “amazed” his side lost the game, but Monk contradicted his counterpart by insisting his side deserved all three points.“We had to ride some pressure second half but we’re playing Manchester United with the squad and players they have,” he added.“They’re always going to create but I think they had only one shot on goal second half.“I thought the first half was quite even, felt we played well and responded how you’d want your team to respond after going behind.“We were pushing and we had a couple of chances cleared off the line, so we were more than competing.“Through the difficult moments in the second half we stuck together and I thought we deserved the win.” Swansea duo Jonjo Shelvey and Ki Sung-yueng celebrate against Man United last_img read more