Activists and members of the public also raised speculation that the two policemen were mere scapegoats and that the mastermind behind the planned attack was still at large.Read also: Prosecutors reject defense arguments in Novel acid attack caseNovel also expressed his own doubts that the defendants were the real perpetrators, asking why two low-ranking police officers would target a KPK investigator in charge of high-profile cases.The defendants have cited a “personal grudge” as their reason for carrying out the attack.Ahead of the verdict, Novel’s legal team expressed its hope that the judges would be objective and independent in ruling on the case. It also urged the Supreme Court to ensure that the judicial panel presiding over the trial would “act objectively and not take part in a misguided trial”.”[We also urge] President Joko Widodo to form an Independent joint fact-finding team, which we believe could uncover the attack on the KPK investigator, Novel Baswedan,” lawyer Kurnia Ramadhana said in a statement released on Wednesday.”If this is not done, then we deserve to say that the President failed in guaranteeing the safety of his citizens, given that the National Police and the Attorney General’s Office are directly under the President, adding to that the fact that the victim is a law [enforcement agent],” the statement read.KPK Employees Association chairman Yudi Purnomo also expressed hope that the attack on Novel would be fully uncovered to deter others from threatening law enforcement officers.”The public will certainly be watching to see whether the judges will punish [the defendants] lightly as the prosecutors demanded, or punish them harshly because the perpetrators attacked [a member of] the state apparatus in charge of eradicating corruption,” Yudi told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.”Maybe [the judges will] even clear the defendants because the facts [presented] in the trial prove that they are not the culprits,” he suggested.”But what is clear to us is that the long road to solving a case that has been going on for more than three years is not yet over. Because the [mastermind] has not been revealed over the course of the trial, and the motive for the attack remains unclear,” he said, noting that the case was built entirely around the defendants’ confessions.Topics : Senior corruption investigator Novel Baswedan has expressed skepticism over the trial of his suspected attackers as the North Jakarta District Court prepares to issue its verdict on Thursday.Novel said that it was difficult for him to remain hopeful about the legal proceedings.”It’s hard to speak of hope when the trial has deviated far from the facts of the incident. Not to mention the many irregularities and important witnesses who were intentionally not questioned,” the senior investigator of the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) e said on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com. He continued that the judges should not push for punishing the defendants by manipulating the facts or fabricating evidence, and instead urged the court to find them not guilty if there was not enough evidence to support a guilty verdict.State prosecutors have demanded a one-year prison sentence for the defendants, policemen Chief Brig. Ronny Bugis and Brig. Rahmat Kadir Mahulette, who allegedly threw sulfuric acid on Novel, permanently blinding him in one eye.They were charged with Article 355 of the Criminal Code for planned assault. The article carries a maximum sentence of five years.The light sentence demand sparked public outcry over the prosecutors’ argument that the defendants “accidentally” threw the acid into Novel’s face in April 2017. Novel’s legal team also said that the prosecution neglected to summon several key witnesses, including Novel’s three neighbors.
3News 12 October 2014A remit calling for abortion law reform has been passed at a National Council of Women conference.“Policy decisions at our conference so far today include members voting to ask government to review abortion law and practice with a view to simplifying it and ensuring a woman’s right to choose,” NCW posted on its Facebook page yesterday.“A significant decision for our membership.”NCW is a non-profit organisation which lobbies on issues affecting women.The remit to the conference from NCW’s Auckland branch was supported by the Abortion Law Reform Association ahead of the conference.“Our out-dated criminalised abortion laws have already been flagged by the UN, and states and countries with similar laws are, one by one, changing them,” the association’s president Dr Morgan Healey said.http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/significant-abortion-decision-by-national-council-of-women-2014101207
William J. Fletcher, 73, of Rexville passed away at 5:02pm, Monday, January 13, 2020 at the Kings Daughters Hospital in Madison. He was born in Cincinnati on August 21, 1946 the son of William and June Swab Fletcher. He was married to Donna Oden on May 7, 1979 and she preceded him in death on January 29, 2019. Survivors include one son Richard (Michelle) Fletcher of Madison; one daughter Michelle (Kim) Johnson of Cincinnati; 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren; one brother Ed (Mary) Swab of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin. He was preceded in death by his parents. Mr. Fletcher was a 1964 graduate of Western Hills High School in Cincinnati. He received his BS degree in computer science from the University of Cincinnati. After college he joined the US Air Force and served in Vietnam. In civilian life Bill worked as a computer programmer. He was a former employee of McDonald-Douglas, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, and later in his career he established Fletcher Consulting. Bill was a Mason and was also a member of the Western Hills Amvets Post 41. Bill’s wishes were to be cremated and a celebration of his life will be held at 6pm, Wednesday, January 22nd at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles. Visitation will begin at 5pm and memorials may be given to the Wounded Warriors project in care of the funeral home.
For information call (909) 394-6230. San Dimas Parks and Recreation offers a Teen Tuesdays open gym program from 7-9 p.m., until May 29, at San Dimas High School, 800 W. Covina Blvd. Recreation staff will conduct active games, including basketball, volleyball and broom hockey. Teen Tuesdays is open to children in grades 6-12. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!