Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) via White House Pool Feed.WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump was abruptly evacuated from the White House briefing room by security on Monday after shots were apparently fired outside the building.Trump returned to the briefing room minutes later, confirming a shooting.“There was a shooting outside of the White House and it seems to be very well under control. I’d like to thank the Secret Service for doing their always quick and very effective work,” Trump said when he returned. After he returned to the podium, US Secret Service tweeted: “The Secret Service can confirm there has been an officer involved shooting at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Ave. Law enforcement officials are on the scene.”A senior administration official said there was an active shooter near the White House and that shooter is in custody.The incident happened just outside of the White House grounds close to Lafayette Square, the official said.Trump had been midsentence during the first attempt at a briefing when security came into the room and asked him to leave the area.“Excuse me?” Trump asked when the security approached.“Step outside,” the agent said.“Oh,” Trump said before departing the room.When Trump returned to the briefing room, he said he has been taken to the Oval Office when he was evacuated.“I feel very safe with the Secret Service. They’re fantastic people. They’re the best of the best. They’re highly trained,” Trump told reporters when he returned. “They just wanted me to step aside for a little while just to make sure that everything was clear outside.”Trump said he had asked whether White House facilities were breached.“I don’t think the person breached anything,” he added. “I don’t believe anything was breached. I asked that question.”
Three civil society groups have already tried challenging the emergency provisions at the Constitutional Court, vowing to continue pushing back on what they see as “malicious intent”.Read also: Perppu on COVID-19 aid puts graft fight at stakeThey include the Alliance of the Nation’s Children (AAB), the Indonesian Anticorruption Community (MAKI) and an unnamed group comprising 24 plaintiffs, including public figures Din Syamsudin and Amien Rais.The groups insist that the order shields state officials responsible for fiscal and monetary measures from legal charges behind the argument that they acted in good faith, as explicitly stipulated in Article 27 of the law. Any fallout would be considered an “economic cost” and not “state losses”, possibly absolving the officials of any corruption charges. But the judicial reviews they filed last month might be aborted, with the court set to drop all challenges once President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo signs the law and legal scrubbing is complete.“The Perppu will turn into a law, so the court can no longer proceed with our previous lawsuits. We would like to, therefore, file another judicial review against the upcoming law,” AAB leader Damai Hari Lubis told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.“We find Article 27 to be evil, and it must be removed because it undermines antigraft efforts in the country.”Damai said the provision needs to be challenged because it fails to define what indicators for state budget allocation fall within the criteria of “goodwill”, arguing that it violates Article 79 of the 2014 Government Administration Law, which calls for the state to uphold accountability and transparency.The article is open to interpretation and could even override the 2001 Corruption Crimes Law, he added.Read also: House grills govt over ‘unconstitutional’ PerppuMAKI coordinator Boyamin Saiman said he would file a new judicial review to the court, having prepared a 53-page lawsuit document to support his group’s case.The unnamed group of plaintiffs will be doing the same, said Ahmad Yani, one of the collective’s defense lawyers.Constitutional Court spokesman Fajar Laksono said the court was still processing the previous challenges to the Perppu because the President had yet to sign it into law.“But once the legal scrubbing is complete, the public can [take it back] to the court,” he said.The court resumed trial over the Perppu case on Thursday, two days after the House passed the Perppu as a Law.Despite increasing pressure on the incoming provision, the government was adamant that the law does not intend to grant impunity to state officials caught misappropriating state funds.Read also: Indonesia’s COVID-19 stimulus playbook explainedLaw and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly said anyone who under any circumstances misappropriated the state budget would still be charged under the 2001 Corruption Crimes Law.“Article 27 only provides a legal guarantee for state officials to promptly issue a policy to mitigate the negative impacts of COVID-19 on the economy,” Yasonna said in a statement.“We should not forget that Article 1 of the 2001 Corruption Crime Law stipulates that those who have embezzled from state funds relating to disaster relief can face the death penalty.“Since the President declared the pandemic a national disaster, state officials who [commit any such act] can be charged with the aforementioned article.” Topics : Even after convincing lawmakers to enact an executive order on the country’s pandemic response, the government still faces scrutiny from civil groups claiming the order gives officials the opportunity to embezzle state funds.A contentious regulation in lieu of law (Perppu), which the House of Representatives endorsed on Tuesday, allows the state to increase spending for programs related to the national COVID-19 response.The resulting law will justify any state move to extend the budget deficit beyond the legal cap of 3 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP), alerting critics to possible misappropriation.
The Indonesian Trade Ministry and Canada’s Trade Facilitation Office (TFO), a nonprofit organization, signed on Tuesday a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on cooperation in export promotion amid the subdued global trade caused by COVID-19.Kasan Muhri, the director general of national export development at the ministry, said on Tuesday the partnership was aimed at promoting exports of processed food products and information and technology services.The two parties plan to team up for promotional activities with a special focus on women-led small businesses, capacity building and technical assistance for exporters, while exchanging information on export development and trade-related opportunities. “In this case, the [directorate general] will encourage Indonesian exports, which in recent years have faced many obstacles, including COVID-19, which has made businesses more careful in conducting trade partnership relations,” Kasan said in a virtual press conference on Tuesday.The cooperation follows Indonesia’s attempt to boost trade, which has been depressed by the ongoing global health crisis.Although the country recorded the biggest trade surplus in nine years in July, exports still declined by 9.9 percent year-on-year (yoy) to US$13.73 billion, while imports nosedived 32.55 percent yoy to $10.47 billion, according to Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data.The World Trade Organization (WTO) has forecast global trade will contract by between 13 and 32 percent at worst this year. Indonesia’s envoy to Canada Abdul Kadir Jailani said that the new cooperation laid further groundwork to step up trade between the two countries, either in the form of regional or bilateral free trade agreements.“A bilateral free trade agreement will not only boost bilateral trade. But more than that, it will also help to enhance competitiveness, attract more Canadian investment to the country and pave pathways to wider areas of cooperation and untapped potential,” said Jailani, who also represents Indonesia at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).Indonesia’s merchandise exports to Canada amounted to $844.65 million in 2019, marking an 8.2 percent decline from a year earlier, according to data from the United Nations International Trade Statistics Database (UN Comtrade).Rubber topped Indonesia’s exports last year reaching $104.20 million, followed by footwear, iron or steel and uncoated paper.Indonesia is Canada’s largest export market in Southeast Asia. Canada’s top export to Indonesia last year was wheat, which amounted to $701 million. It was followed by fertilizers and wood pulp.“So, we have worked in areas such as apparel, coffee, footwear, processed food and services,” said Steven Tipman, the executive director of TFO Canada.“Today’s MOU signing will really serve as the umbrella agreement for the cooperation of both our organizations in the areas of trade promotion and capacity building of Indonesian trade support institutions, as well as [small and medium enterprises].”Topics :
Turkey-based forward Henry Onyekuru will be the first player to arrive at the Super Eagles’ Savoy Hotel Resort and Spa, Victoria this morning as Nigeria opens camp for Saturday’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against the Pirates of Seychelles.The Galatasaray SK marksman is scheduled to land in Victoria on the island of Mahe at 11am this morning to be followed two-and-half hours later by Nigeria-based goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who will arrive with members of the technical crew and backroom staff from Abuja. All the other players on Coach Gernot Rohr’s 24-man roster will arrive at the team hotel on Tuesday, with one group to come in before breakfast and another group expected at lunchtime. Rohr has included three goalkeepers, eight defenders, six midfielders and seven forwards in his list for the crucial match, with four other players on standby.The Super Eagles and the Pirates clash at the 10,000-capacity Stade Linite in a Group E, Match-day 2 encounter on Saturday, starting from 4.30pm Seychelles time (1.30pm Nigeria time), with both teams in need of the three points after losing their respective openers to the campaign 15 months ago.Libya tops Group E following a 5-1 whiplash of Seychelles (who have installed a new coach in Gavin Jeanne), with South Africa second after beating the Super Eagles 2-0 in Uyo.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram