Mick Halford’s three-year-old was pushed out by Sean Corby to get the better of Chillie Billie, who had won at the Galway Festival three weeks ago. Cailin Mor (16-1), who joined Halford’s team when Joanna Morgan retired in the spring, got the verdict by half a length after being unplaced in her first three starts this term. Sister Slew was third. Press Association Cailin Mor bounced back to form with a hard-fought victory in the Luke & Nellie Comer Apprentice Handicap at the Curragh. Halford said: “I must admit she’s had no luck in the three runs she’s had for us. “A drop of rain and riding her a bit more settled has helped. I’m glad I’ve got the key to her now. “She’s a big strong filly now. She won her nursery for Joanna last year on fast ground in Fairyhouse. She’s a beautiful mover but we were running out of options so she was going to run today whatever the ground. “We’ll see what’s in the book for her now, but she stays seven well and enjoyed the ease in the ground, so that will open up her options.” An Saighdiur (8-1) rolled back the years when landing his first victory since April 2014 in the Sycamore Lodge Equine Hospital Handicap. Andrew Slattery’s eight-year-old knuckled down gamely to see off the 100-30 favourite Have A Nice Day by a length and a quarter. Tylery Wonder was third. “He was handicapped on fast ground and he’s always wanted it soft,” said Slattery. “It will be the Ayr Gold Cup or Silver Cup next, whichever he gets into.”
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___ Due to the situation surrounding COVID-19, the United States Tennis Association has canceled all national junior events through Oct. 12. There is no decision yet on how to allocate the CONCACAF Champions League slot that typically goes to the tournament champion.___Kansas State will allow 25% capacity at its football stadium for games this season after getting approval Monday from the county commission. That means a maximum crowd of just under 15,000 fans.The Big 12 Conference is allowing schools to set their own attendance policies based on local jurisdictions.The Riley County Commission reviewed the rest of Kansas State’s return-to-play protocols, too. Fans will be required to wear face coverings where 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained. Tailgating will not be permitted in parking lots controlled by the school. There will be no reentry. There also will be hand sanitizing stations and other protective measures. August 17, 2020 Furman of the Division I Southern Conference is postponing all fall nonconference sports due to the coronavirus pandemic.Athletic director Jason Donnelly said Monday the decision came after last week’s announcement that the league was pushing all its fall conference athletic competition and championships to the spring. Furman plays football in the Championship Subdivision.Donnelly says the school in Greenville, South Carolina, made the decision to protect the health and safety of student-athletes, coaches and staff, and fans.___There will be no fans at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium for NFL and MLS games played in September. The Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United say the coronavirus pandemic forced the decision. The USTA also has canceled all adult Category 1 events, comprising the Adult, Open, Family, and Age divisions, through the end of the year.The decision to cancel was made to ensure the health and safety of all those involved since interstate travel required for the tournaments carries an increased risk of contracting the disease. The USTA said different regulations, restrictions and quarantine periods at the sites of the events and in the home states of the players were considered. ___Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn says his players have had 33 positive tests for COVID-19 this summer. The teams say they will continue to collaborate with local and national health officials before deciding on the possibility for fans in games after September.The Falcons will play at least two home games without fans — against Seattle on Sept. 13 and against Chicago on Sept. 27.“The health and safety of our fans is our top priority,” said Steve Cannon, CEO of the Falcons and Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank’s sports and entertainment group. Cannon said the decision was made “after thoughtful consideration and collaboration.”Atlanta United previously announced there would be no fans for three games: Aug. 22 against Nashville SC, Aug. 29 against Orlando City SC and Sept. 2 against Inter Miami CF.___ One plus for fans: With the elimination of tailgating and reentry, the school will allow beer and wine to be purchased in general seating sections for the first time. Alcohol sales had been limited to luxury suites.___The CFL has canceled its 2020 season because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It marks the first year the Grey Cup won’t be presented since 1919.The nine-team league announced the move Monday, dashing hopes of a shortened season in the hub city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The decision comes after the CFL couldn’t solve a number of issues in an effort to try to salvage a season.“Our league governors decided today it is in the best long-term interests of the CFL to concentrate on the future,” Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement. Associated Press “We are absolutely committed to 2021, to the future of our league and the pursuit of our vision of a bigger, stronger, more global CFL.”Unlike other major leagues in North America, the CFL does not have the luxury of a billion-dollar television contract. While its deal with TSN has become more lucrative over the years, the CFL remains a gate-driven league — a major problem when fans aren’t allowed in the stands.___Mississippi starting center Eli Johnson says he won’t play football this season.Johnson announced on Twitter that he’ll sit out the season and focus on completing his master’s degree in criminal justice in December. Soccer’s U.S. Open Cup has been canceled this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The 2020 tournament was suspended in early March shortly before it was supposed to kick off. The final was to be held on either Sept. 22 or 23.Officially called the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, it is the longest-running soccer tournament in the United States and gives amateur teams a chance to take on the pros, setting up the chance for an intriguing Cinderella team to advance far into the tournament. The winner earns a spot in the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football’s Champions League.The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Monday that the Open Cup couldn’t be staged this year because the pandemic affected teams’ ability to travel, limited or eliminated fans at games, and necessitated strict testing protocols.The teams that were invited to participate this year will be invited next year instead. The Latest: USTA cancels junior events through Oct. 12 The Southeastern Conference allows players to opt out of the season because of COVID-19 and remain on scholarship.Johnson started all 12 games last season, allowing only one sack. His father, David, was hospitalized this summer because of the virus.“I will be forever grateful for my time here at Ole Miss,” Johnson wrote Sunday night on Twitter. “God bless and Hotty Toddy.”___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Malzahn says one staff member also tested positive earlier this summer. The Tigers and other Southeastern Conference teams opened preseason camp Monday ahead of a season scheduled to start on Sept. 26.Malzahn says Auburn had no positive tests last week, but four players are still going through the testing protocols. He expects results back by the end of the week.He says the school has administered 863 tests among players, an average of more than seven times each. Staffers have had five tests each.Linebacker Chandler Wooten and backup defensive back Traivon Leonard have opted out playing this season.___
Preparations for the Club World Cup in Morocco in December are continuing and there is currently no Ebola threat to cause it to be canceled or postponed, FIFA said Tuesday.”Should the situation change we will be in touch with the participating clubs accordingly,” FIFA said.The world soccer body said it is in contact with Moroccan authorities and is “constantly updating its position” with regard to Ebola on the advice of the World Health Organization.Morocco has no reported cases of the deadly virus that has killed nearly 5,000 people in West Africa, almost all in the three worst-affected countries of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.The Club World Cup, which will feature Champions League winner Real Madrid and South American champion San Lorenzo of Argentina, is scheduled for December 10-20.FIFA also said it agrees with the Confederation of African Football’s decision to move games out of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, but it didn’t comment on Morocco’s request for the African Cup of Nations in January and February to be postponed because of Ebola. Morocco has asked organizer CAF if the tournament can be delayed, fearing fans traveling in numbers from West Africa for the 16-nation, three-week tournament.CAF insists the African Cup must go ahead on the planned dates — January 17-February 8 — and will meet with Moroccan authorities early next month. Possible stand-in countries South Africa, Egypt and Sudan have all declined to host the tournament in Morocco’s place.