Trump Administration Bans Cuba Cruise Ship Port Calls

first_imgThe Trump administration has unveiled new restrictions for U.S. travel to Cuba, including banning group tours and cruise ship stops to the island nation.Under the newly announced changes, meant to tighten the economic pressure on the Cuban government, the United States will no longer permit visits to Cuba via passenger and recreational vessels, including cruise ships and yachts, and private and corporate aircraft.“Veiled tourism has served to line the pockets of the Cuban military, the very same people supporting Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela and repressing the Cuban people on the island,” according to a statement from the U.S. Department of State.Additionally, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is amending non-family travel to Cuba regulations to remove the authorization for group people-to-people educational travel.The OFAC amended the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) on June 4 to further implement the President’s foreign policy on Cuba.These changes complement the ones to the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Administration Regulations (EAR). These were announced on April 17, 2019, and include restrictions on non-family travel to Cuba.While Norwegian Cruise Line said it is “closely monitoring these recent developments and any resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba,” Royal Caribbean Cruises already canceled two port calls to Cuba for June 5 and June 6 sailings. The company added that further impacts to the cruise itineraries would be evaluated.last_img read more

The Latest: 1 positive out of 1,400 tennis virus tests in NY

first_imgUnion says “a preventative test for all spectators is intended to replace the currently valid social distancing rules.”German soccer clubs previously outlined plans to resume games with some socially distanced fans attending in seated areas. Union’s Stadion An der Alten Försterei has mostly standing terraces so it could have far fewer fans attending than its competitors.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Latest: 1 positive out of 1,400 tennis virus tests in NY August 18, 2020 Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___One person who isn’t a player returned a positive result for COVID-19 out of 1,400 tests administered in the controlled environment set up for the U.S. Open and another tennis tournament preceding it at the same site in New York. South Africa has withdrawn from a planned women’s cricket tour of England because of coronavirus-related restrictions.The England and Wales Cricket Board and Cricket South Africa say “this decision was taken due to the current international travel regulations in place for South African national teams.”South Africa had been scheduled to travel next month and play using the same bubble-style protocol used for men’s tours of England by West Indies, Ireland and Pakistan.The announcement leaves the England women’s team without any confirmed matches for the rest of the year after a planned tour by India was called off last month. The England women’s team has not had a game since the T20 World Cup in Australia in February and March.The ECB says it is in “multiple discussions” to host international women’s cricket tours. The U.S. Tennis Association said Tuesday that the person is asymptomatic and must isolate for at least 10 days.Contact tracing has started to see who might have been exposed to that person and should quarantine for two weeks.The Western & Southern Open, moved this year from Cincinnati to New York because of the coronavirus pandemic, begins Saturday. The U.S. Open starts Aug. 31.Testing began last Thursday.___ It’s the third women’s series to be canceled this year for South Africa following a planned series against Australia in South Africa and a tour of the West Indies.___Two players from Roma’s youth team have tested positive for the coronavirus.The Italian soccer club has not named the players but says they are asymptomatic and have begun self-isolating.Roma says “those who have come into contact with the two individuals have been traced and notified” and adds that “a deep clean and disinfection of the club’s training facilities has also already begun.” The two players, their teammates and the youth team staff will undergo further tests.The team’s training activities have been suspended until at least Aug. 24.___German soccer club Union Berlin wants to hold a pre-season friendly match with 3,000 spectators and is hoping that “preventative” coronavirus tests for fans will allow it to happen.The Bundesliga club says it has applied to the local Treptow-Köpenick health authorities for permission to hold the game with an altered hygiene plan on Sept. 5.last_img read more