Photo Courtesy of Broward Foundation The Broward Education Foundation has taken a major step to ease the steep cost of higher education facing many of today’s graduating high school seniors in their bid to fulfill their dreams of attending college.At its Scholarship Award Ceremony held recently, the Broward Education Foundation awarded more than $750,000 worth of scholarships to 207 Broward County public school seniors.The college scholarships ranged from $500 each to four-year Florida Prepaid plans.Scholarship helps students from low-income families The Foundation has created the scholarships for those who possess the academic potential to be exceptional students.The Broward Education Foundation awards scholarships to students who proved academic excellence but who fall short of their financial need to pursue a college education.Often students with high grades, but who missed obtaining full or part time scholarships offered by the college of their preference are unable to advance. These are usually students from low-income families residing in low-income families who find it impossible to afford the cost of college tuition.“There are many times students just need help along the path to success,” said Broward Education Foundation Board Chair Christina Fischer. “That’s what we attempt to do at (the) Broward Education Foundation.”Partnership offers $12 million in scholarshipsThroughout 34 years the Foundation has partnered with the School Board of Broward County, local universities, businesses and community leaders. Through this partnership, more than 5,500 scholarships totaling nearly $12 million have been awarded to deserving high school students.Copyright 2017 – Caribbean National Weekly News
Opposition leader Lennox Linton says he has withdrawn a motion of no confidence in Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit after complaining that his original motion had been amended “to the point where I could not recognize the motion anymore.”Linton, speaking at a public meeting on Tuesday night, said that the motion was due to have been debated in the Parliament next week.That motion was totally re-organized and changed and new words brought in and new format adopted to the point where I couldn’t recognize the motion anymore.“And so I have asked that the motion be withdrawn. The one that they have standing in my name, which is not my motion, I have asked that it be withdrawn,” he told party supporters.Linton took the opportunity to thank the regional and international community that came to the assistance of Dominica when it was ravaged by Hurricane Maria last year, killing 30 people and leaving 30 others missing. The hurricane was also blamed for the millions of dollars in infrastructural damage.“We thank all those who rallied in support of us. It was a tremendous outpouring of charity from a world community that saw us struggling and decided it was going to be there with us.‘We ask ourselves one year later what lessons did we learn from Maria. If Maria demonstrated to us charity from around the world like we have never seen before how did that help us in Dominica?. Well we saw our brothers and sisters looking out for each other in Dominica…and we saw our government in some way trying its best, but in many ways making a mess,” Linton said.
FORT LAUDERDALE – Internationally known Haitian performing artist TiCorn will be in concert with celebrated Haitian composer and guitarist BélO on Saturday, March 7, at 7:00 pm.The event, which is presented by the Haitian American Chamber of Commerce (HAAMCC), will be held at the Nova Southern University Art Museum on Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale.TiCorn, an established performing artist of Haiti began her colorful career as a professional singer/songwriter in 1978 with her first recording LP Haiti. Many music productions, concerts, live performances and music videos followed over the years as she became the quintessential dean of folk music, who performs with a Creole twist that music lovers everywhere can’t seem to get enough of.In 2019, she performed on stage with the BélO, who is renowned for his beautiful lyrics, intricate rhythms, skillful guitar accompaniment. Both express in tunes of joy, laughter and sorrow the deeply poetic soul of a nation which never abandons hope.For the first time in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, TiCorn and BélO will be together on stage for a unique concert where the public will enjoy a wealth of musical styles and rhythms with smooth and expressive voices showcasing the richness of Haitian culture.This event is open to the public and tickets may be purchased on Eventbrite, with the link, https://bit.ly/3a2cTCg.
Richards polled 1,296 votes as against 721 for SKNLP’s Kenny Douglas to win St. Christopher Number 5, while Grant won St. Christopher Number 4 by polling 1,284 as against 933 for Steve Wrensford. The lone independent candidate in the election could only muster 12 votes and lost his deposit. In the other seat on Nevis, the CCM’s Eric Evelyn received 710 votes to 167 for Bjorn Hanley to win Nevis constituency Number 11. BASSETERRE, St. Kitts – Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis, Dr. Timothy Harris led his coalition Team Unity to a second consecutive victory in Friday’s general election, winning six of the seven seats declared to date. The preliminary results showed that Harris of the People’s Labour Party (PLP) had comfortably won his Constituency Number 7 seat, polling 1,870 votes as compared to 607 for Leon Netta Nelson of the main opposition St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) while the Concerned Citizens Movement, (CCM) headed by Premier Mark Brantley, had won all three seats on the island of Nevis. The other victorious Team unity winners were Shawn Richards and Lindsay Grant of the People’s Action Movement, the third member of the Team Unity coalition. Former Opposition Leader Dr. Denzil Richards is so far the only victor for the main extending his winning streak to eight in St. Christopher Number 6, by comfortably defatting the PLP’s Kevin Williams by a1,563 to 476.. Brantley received 1,689 votes as against 1,155 for Dr. Kelvin Daley of the Nevis Reformation Party (NRP) to win Nevis Constituency Number 9 , while in his third attempt the CCM’s Alexis Jeffers has secured victory in Nevis Constituency Number 11 over the NRP’s Patrice Nisbett by a margin of 1,107 to 910. St. Kitts Prime Minister, Dr. Timothy Harris There are 11 seats at stake in the elections and in the 2015 poll, Team unity won seven seats. CMC
London clubs West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur have both been fined by the English FA.The two sides had earlier been charged with failing to control their players during their English Premier League (EPL) clash on Saturday and they have now received a fine of £20,000 each after admitting the FA charge.West Ham United were 3-2 down to 10-man Tottenham in stoppage time when a late melee involving many players from both sides took place prompting the charge. Related
StumbleUpon Related Articles Spelinspektionen reminds operators of AML responsibilities July 2, 2020 LeoVegas hits back at Swedish regulations despite Q2 successes August 13, 2020 Submit Share Betsson outrides pandemic challenges as regulatory dramas loom July 21, 2020 Share Stuart TrigwellSwedish industry games and content provider Play’n GO has moved to strengthen its UK commercial operations by appointing Stuart Trigwell as its new UK Sales Manager.Trigwell joins Play’n GO having served as UK Director of Sales for international betting systems Global Bet (2015 -2017). He will be charged with leading Play’n GO UK industry commercial partnerships; a key area that Play’n GO management have targeted for corporate growth.At present, currently services content partnerships with Bet365, BetVictor, and Unibet. The company has opened a London office to aid its UK ambitions.Johan Törnqvist, Group CEO at Play’n GO, commented on the appointment: “This is an exciting time for Play’n GO as we look to grow our commercial and staffing presence in the UK, where we see our games to perform very strongly.“Stuart is a key part of this strategy. His previous high-level experience working with and for leading operators, as well as within the supply sector will be invaluable going forward. But his appointment will be the first of many as we have big plans to stamp our mark on the UK market.”Trigwell commented on joining on Play’n GO “I’m excited to be at such an innovative company who have continued to set the industry benchmark in recent years. I’m really looking forward to shaping our UK presence in the coming years as we continue our ambitious expansion plans.”
Related Articles SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020 Submit GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 UK Racing media rights holding firm Racecourse Media Group (RMG) has strengthened its directorial board through appointing Jim Mullen and Britt Boeskov as independent non-executive directors.The new appointments come as a bid to facilitate further understanding of the regulatory challenges that face the gaming industry in 2019, with hopes that Mullen and Boeskov will help provide strategic advice at a pivotal time for the sector.Jim MullenMullen joins the company after holding positions at Ladbrokes Coral Group and Ladbrokes. Prior to that, Mullen was Managing Director of Ladbrokes Digital and Chief Operating Officer of International Business at William Hill.Before entering the gaming sector, Jim was Director of Product Management and Commercial and Digital Strategy Director at News International.Britt BoeskovBoeskov, meanwhile, has worked in the industry for over 15 years, with executive and managerial experience at Kindred Group. She joins RMG after working as the Chief Experience Officer at Kindred, having previously held the position of Chief Operating Officer and Business Development Manager.Roger Lewis, Chairman of RMG celebrated the new appointments: “These new appointments will enhance the RMG Board’s desire to work closer with the betting and gaming industry. Jim, Britt and Antonia will provide RMG with a better understanding of this critically important driver of our business and will help us build stronger relationships across the industry.“The RMG ambition is to add as much value as we can to our shareholder racecourses, working alongside our betting and gaming partners, and these appointments are a clear signal of our intent to do so.”Antonia WrightAlongside Mullen and Boeskov, RMG has also hired Antonia Wright as Company Secretary and the RMG executive team as Legal Director.Wright joins RMG from the position of Head of Commercial Legal Affairs at global online betting and gaming company The Stars Group. Prior to that, she was Senior Commercial Counsel at online gaming operator and developer Gamesys Group. StumbleUpon ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure August 27, 2020 Share Share
Submit Intralot enhances Malta games offering with E*SOCCER launch July 13, 2020 Intralot accelerates Nederlandse Loterij retail transformation July 29, 2020 Share Athens-listed gambling technology group INTRALOT SPA has moved to restructure the leadership of its corporate accounting and auditing units.Updating investors, INTRALOT governance confirms the promotion of current Internal Audit Officer Lampros Klironomos to the executive position of Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the group’s ‘INTRALOT INC’ US division wagering and lottery systems division.Klironomos has served as group auditing lead since 2012, as INTRALOT governance underlines that the executive appointment sees the firm expand its US management capacity with a view of accelerating the firm’s transformation objectives and improving its all-around financial performance.INTRALOT governance expects Klironomos to take full control of US financial auditing, compliance and risk management controls, upon completion of executive due diligence procedures required by US laws.Klironomos’ US promotion sees INTRALOT governance confirm the appointment of Alexandra Moulavasilis to the position of Director of Internal Auditing – a nomination approved by the firm’s audit and compliance committees at a meeting held on 3 December. Share Related Articles Intralot strengthens U*BET offering with virtual sports addition August 6, 2020 StumbleUpon
FIFA will appoint its Secretary General Fatma Samoura to the Confederation of African Football, CAF, to act as a High Commissioner amidst administrative crisis at the African football governing body.If the proposal is approved, Samoura would take charge for at least six months from 1 August.African football’s ruling body has been in the spotlight recently, with Caf president Ahmad questioned by French authorities earlier this month as “part of a probe into corruption, breach of trust and forgery”.The 59-year-old, who is also being investigated by Fifa’s ethics committee, was released without charge following the talks in Paris and has dismissed all allegations against him as “false”.Other recent issues include the decision to replay Caf’s flagship club match after this month’s African Champions League final was marred by a boycott following the failure of the VAR system.There was also controversy with regard to rescheduling the 2019, 2021 and 2023 Africa Cup of Nations finals.“The rule of the temporary Fifa high commissioner for Africa would be to conduct a root and brand (sic) review of governance of the confederation, oversee operational management of the organisation and recommend where needed a series of reform efforts,” a leaked memo stated.“The Fifa high commissioner for Africa would act under the supervision of both the Caf president and Fifa president [Gianni Infantino].”The Senegalese would have to delegate some of her Fifa duties if she takes charge, said a source with knowledge of the process.Caf’s executive committee met on Wednesday in Egypt, which will host this year’s Africa Cup of Nations between 21 June and 19 July.BBC Sport Africa understands that any decision would have to be rubber-stamped when the Caf Congress meets in Cairo on 18 July, the eve of the 2019 Nations Cup final.
Former Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini has confirmed that he has tested positive for coronavirus.In a post on Twitter, the 32-year-old, who is now at Chinese club Shandong Luneng said he hopes “to return to the game as soon as possible”.Chinese media reports say Fellaini is in isolation at Jinan hospital, which specialises in infectious diseases.The Belgium international moved to China in 2019 after 11 seasons in England with United and Everton.Fellaini, who had recently returned to the country to resume training, is reportedly the only Chinese Super League player to have contracted the illness.A statement from his club read: “The official test confirmed that the player Fellaini has tested positive for coronavirus during the quarantine observation period.“During this period, the player’s body temperature has been normal and there are no other discomforts. He has received further observation and treatment at a designated medical institution.” Source: BBC Sport Tags: CoronavirusMarouane Fellaini