Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion I encouraged them to research the speaker, listen to his/her words, and then use their research and intelligence to rebut the speaker during the question-and-answer session.What then to make of the Albany Law School students who walked out of a panel on travel bans to protest one speaker?They’re students at a prestigious institution of legal education. I have friends who graduated from that school and serve in truly distinguished capacities today. These students will be challenged when they argue cases against opposing attorneys and try to convince juries. Why not undertake a challenge now?It’s my hope that the next time said students are again faced with this type of challenge, they’ll stay and question the individual(s) with the intelligence they obviously have in order to attend this school.Michael FondacaroAlbanyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Feds: Albany man sentenced for role in romance scam I preface this letter by noting that I mentor Asian-American students at the University at Albany. I made clear to them at the beginning of this semester that should the university extend a speaking invitation an individual whose views they and I would consider reprehensible and repugnant that they shouldn’t interrupt or attempt to shut down the speaker.
The Indonesian Trade Ministry and Canada’s Trade Facilitation Office (TFO), a nonprofit organization, signed on Tuesday a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on cooperation in export promotion amid the subdued global trade caused by COVID-19.Kasan Muhri, the director general of national export development at the ministry, said on Tuesday the partnership was aimed at promoting exports of processed food products and information and technology services.The two parties plan to team up for promotional activities with a special focus on women-led small businesses, capacity building and technical assistance for exporters, while exchanging information on export development and trade-related opportunities. “In this case, the [directorate general] will encourage Indonesian exports, which in recent years have faced many obstacles, including COVID-19, which has made businesses more careful in conducting trade partnership relations,” Kasan said in a virtual press conference on Tuesday.The cooperation follows Indonesia’s attempt to boost trade, which has been depressed by the ongoing global health crisis.Although the country recorded the biggest trade surplus in nine years in July, exports still declined by 9.9 percent year-on-year (yoy) to US$13.73 billion, while imports nosedived 32.55 percent yoy to $10.47 billion, according to Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data.The World Trade Organization (WTO) has forecast global trade will contract by between 13 and 32 percent at worst this year. Indonesia’s envoy to Canada Abdul Kadir Jailani said that the new cooperation laid further groundwork to step up trade between the two countries, either in the form of regional or bilateral free trade agreements.“A bilateral free trade agreement will not only boost bilateral trade. But more than that, it will also help to enhance competitiveness, attract more Canadian investment to the country and pave pathways to wider areas of cooperation and untapped potential,” said Jailani, who also represents Indonesia at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).Indonesia’s merchandise exports to Canada amounted to $844.65 million in 2019, marking an 8.2 percent decline from a year earlier, according to data from the United Nations International Trade Statistics Database (UN Comtrade).Rubber topped Indonesia’s exports last year reaching $104.20 million, followed by footwear, iron or steel and uncoated paper.Indonesia is Canada’s largest export market in Southeast Asia. Canada’s top export to Indonesia last year was wheat, which amounted to $701 million. It was followed by fertilizers and wood pulp.“So, we have worked in areas such as apparel, coffee, footwear, processed food and services,” said Steven Tipman, the executive director of TFO Canada.“Today’s MOU signing will really serve as the umbrella agreement for the cooperation of both our organizations in the areas of trade promotion and capacity building of Indonesian trade support institutions, as well as [small and medium enterprises].”Topics :
East Jakarta’s Pondok Ranggon cemetery expects to run out of space for COVID-19 graves in October because of the recent increase in the number of burials.Nadi, the cemetery’s management officer, said there was only space left for another 1,100 burials in the cemetery’s southern area of 7,000 square meters.“The capacity is likely to be critical in mid-October,” Nadi said on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com. It is estimated that, during October, the remaining land may only accommodate 380 to 400 bodies.Read also: Indonesia hits highest daily increase in COVID-19 cases, deathsNadi said the average number of bodies buried at the Pondok Ranggon cemetery was 700 a month. In August, an average 27 bodies were buried per day.“Aug. 31 set a record with 36 bodies buried that day, the highest number ever since I was put in charge in March,” he said.Since the establishment of the Pondok Ranggon cemetery as a COVID-19 burial location in March, the cemetery authorities have opened eight new plots and buried 2,623 bodies.“We use plot numbers 91 to 99 [for COVID-19 graves], except plot number 97, which is used for the general public. A plot can accommodate 240 to 300 bodies,” said Nadi.Regarding the possibility of the cemetery reaching its limit in October, Nadi admitted that his party had not come up with any plan. He only hoped that the number of COVID-19 cases and hence the death toll would be reduced so that there would be fewer bodies of COVID-19 patients to bury. (aly)Topics :
Inside the home at 31 Musgrave Rd, Toowong.“It worked really well for us,” Ms Roden said.“We built and designed the home for teenagers. They usually had their friends over on a Friday and Saturday night.“Now the house is too big to live in on my own.”More from newsDigital inspection tool proves a property boon for REA website3 Apr 2020The Camira homestead where kids roamed free28 May 2019Set on a 866sq m block, Ms Roden described the home as peaceful.“It’s surrounded by greenery. On both my decks I can look out to Mt Coot-tha and I love the views,” she said. The home at 31 Musgrave Rd, Toowong.She hopes a family with children buys her home as the back yard is spacious. “We were going to put in a lap pool down the side, but my son was a soccer player and really took to that area,” she said.“He put in a soccer net and chose that over the pool.” Ms Roden said the next owner could possibly put in a lap pool if they wanted and said there was room to expand inside and out. The home at 31 Musgrave Rd, Toowong.A change of circumstances has prompted Suzy Roden to sell her beautiful home in Brisbane’s western suburbs.The five-bedroom, two-bathroom home at 31 Musgrave St, Toowong, was built in 1999.Ms Roden said she moved in during September, 1999, and had loved living at the property.Hoping to stay in the area, Ms Roden said the home was the perfect place to bring up her two children, who enjoyed their teenage years there. The deck at 31 Musgrave Rd, Toowong.The two-storey home is close to private schools, shops and public transport.Ms Roden said minor renovations had been done to the home including redoing the floors, carpets, and repainting.She said the kitchen and bathrooms had also been revamped.Ms Roden said she loved the living area of the home because when she invited friends around they just lifted up the rug and that area became a dance floor.
29 Foxmont Drive, Carina. Picture: realestate.com.auBidding started at $725,000. The house was built in 1990 by an Italian family and this was the first time it had been offered for sale.“It was a young family that bought it, they beat out two other bidders,’’ Mr Bool said.The four-bedroom home had views to Carindale. 38 Park Rd West, Dutton Park. Picture: realestate.com.auWET weather wasn’t enough to put off buyers with strong results under the hammer despite the rain this weekend.Auctioneer Haesley Cush of Ray White said while numbers of spectators at auctions were down bidder numbers were still strong.The first sale of the day was a four-bedroom house at 38 Park Rd West, Dutton Park.Bidding for the house which was listed through Luke Croft of Ray White South Brisbane started at $800,000.There were six registered bidders and it went up in $25,000 increments until it reached nearly $900,000. 3 Grant St, Camp Hill. Picture: realestate.com.auA home at nearby 3 Grant St, Camp Hill also sold under the hammer.There were four registered bidders for the house which was listed through Shane Hicks of Place Estate Agents. Three bidders actively took part, following an opening bid of $750,000 it sold under the hammer for $850,000.Mr Hicks said more than 100 groups had inspected the home during the campaign and the house was bought by the first couple who had inspected it.“Camp Hill is very, very popular at the moment,’’ Mr Hicks said. 27 Winifred St, ClayfieldMr Cush said two bidders then battled it out with the successful buyer paying $905,000 for the house.The home has multiple living zones, and a separate lounge with french doors that lead out to the front veranda. The kitchen was recently updated with new appliances and cabinetry.Next to go under the hammer was a house at 27 Winifred St, Clayfield for which 15 bidders registered.The three-bedroom home, which was listed through Marion Sheerman of Ray White New Farm.is on a 610sq m block of land.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North2 hours agoNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by It was built around 1920 and had high ceilings, stained glass windows, polished wood floors and VJ walls.Mr Cush said bidding started in the early $900,000s. It quickly progressed to $1.25 million and stalled for negotiations. It was then announced on the market at $1.29 million and progressed to sell for $1.315 to a Sydney-based buyer on the phone.“It was quite a battle,’’ Mr Cush said.Meanwhile a home at 29 Foxmont Drive, Carina listed through Glenn Bool of Place Estate agents sold under the hammer for $826,000.
THERE was a time ’when we could have fun with the engineers’, mused Adtranz President & Chief Executive Officer Kaare Vagner on September 10. Not any more. With railways forcing down rolling stock prices and higher profits at the top of the Adtranz agenda, the CEO’s strategy means attacking the cost base: ’tough times are ahead’, he warns. His message is addressed particularly at the group’s German operations. The 11 major factories employing 8500 people represent an unacceptable degree of overcapacity, and downsizing is inevitable.Adtranz is already using its cheaper plants in eastern Europe to supply hardware for assembly in the west. For example, bodyshells for German Railway’s Class 101 locos being put together in Kassel (above) are now coming from the Pafawag plant in Poland. Kassel has already been reorganised to assemble locos on a single production line, and the huge premises at Hennigsdorf near Berlin face similar change.Vagner’s restructuring model is taken from Britain, and he is ’flying in a British restructuring team’ to Germany to oversee the changes. He considers rationalisation to have been well handled in Britain as management faced up to a dearth of rolling stock orders during the privatisation of British Rail – costs in Britain are now 50% lower than in Germany. He also feels that purchase of former railway workshops has given Adtranz an advantage in terms of maintenance expertise. This business is set to grow: already DM100m of work a year is being contracted out by DB, and Adtranz has projects in Uganda, India and Latin America.All this does not mean that the thirst for acquisitions has been slaked – Schindler’s rolling stock business in Switzerland will be added to the Adtranz portfolio on January 1. Vagner says the Swiss company’s expertise in aluminium shell production and double-deckers will complement current capabilities, as well as secure access to the Swiss market.The group has just set up an office in France, where it is angling for all or part of the contract to supply up to 1400 metro cars for Paris in the early years of the next century. Another acquisition is the expertise of former Eurotunnel Co-Chairman Sir Alastair Morton (p654), who will be well able to contribute advice on funding large projects.By 2002 Vagner expects to be employing 25% fewer people in Europe, but activity in India and Latin America will increase. Among projects being tendered at the moment are suburban trains for Buenos Aires, which Vagner hinted could be a version of the British 365 or a Danish Flexliner.Apart from lifting operating profit above last year’s 4% (RG 7.97 p467) Vagner has other ambitions: ’I have one dream left, no two. The first is to turn in real profits, and the second is to merge with GE Transportation … we would make a hell of a team.’ He confirmed discussions had taken place but acknowledged that ’I don’t know that it is possible’. Adtranz and GE already co-operate on the Blue Tiger, and this may grow into something more. o
Ultra Deep Solutions said it will exercise an option on the sister vessel ‘Ultra Deep Matisse’.The Matisse is an MT 6027 design, and with 145 meters in length and a beam of 27 meters will be the largest ship in UDS fleet.Keel laying ceremony for the Matisse was held at the China Merchants Heavy Industry (CMHI) yard in November last year.The sister vessel, named ‘Kandinsky’, is also is a DNV-GL class with a 24 men saturation system with twin bell and twin 24 men SPHLs.Same as the Matisse, Kandinsky will be equipped with 400t Huisman crane which can reach water depths of 5200 meters.The “Kandinsky” will be fitted with two 4000-meter rated work-class ROVs, and its 2200 m2 of open deck space will be suitable for a well intervention tower and flex lay tower.Shel Hutton, CEO, said: “Exercising the option of the sister vessel fits into our future plans for long term decommissioning. We see the industry in a 30 year cycle which will be removing many structures over this term.“Our plans remain the same to build high efficiency vessels at a competitive price. Technology will be a driving force over the next decade. Capturing the market in these area’s will be a key to our success.”Subsea World News Staff
Neal’s Funeral Home306 S Walnut St.Osgood, In 47037812-689-4262After a long time illness, Mary Louise Moody, age 71 of Greensburg, In quietly passed away at her home on Sunday evening, January 8, 2017 with her family at her side. She was the daughter of the late George Stewart and Loretta Spaulding Stewart Butler. Mary was united in marriage to Dale Andrew Moody on January 11, 1964. They were blessed with three children.Mary’s family stated she was a very loving mother, always there for them even through her last years of being ill. Before her illness, she had enjoyed her flowers and just watching the birds. She used to go to St. Louis in Batesville and play bingo but later had to be content playing on her laptop. She will be sadly missed by her family.Survivors include her husband, Dale Andrew Moody, son; Phillip Moody and daughter Paula Moody all of home. One daughter, Tracy (Jason) Moody of Laurel, In also survives along with eight grandchildren and one great grandchild.Two brothers, Guiles Stewart of Greensburg and Harvey Butler of Batesville; four sisters; Bonnie Jenkins of Morris, In , Phyllis McKeown of Milan, Tina Clift of Osgood and Diana Reed of Colorado. She was preceded in death by one brother, George Stewart Jr and one sister, Jean Carel.Services will be private. Any memorials may go to the family c/o the funeral home.Arrangements by: Neal’s Funeral Homewww.nealsfuneralhome.net
Loading… A Swiss bank linked to corruption by former international soccer officials at FIFA said Wednesday it is in talks with United States authorities about paying a settlement of at least $10 million. Julius Baer has cooperated with the U.S. Department of Justice since 2015, when a sprawling investigation was unsealed. In 2017, a former banker with Julius Baer pleaded guilty in federal court in New York for his part in managing accounts that laundered bribes for South American soccer officials. They included Julio Grondona, who was FIFA’s former senior vice president and finance committee chairman when he died in 2014. “The bank is currently in advanced discussions with the DOJ about reaching a resolution in such matter, which may result in the payment of a double-digit million US dollar amount,” Julius Baer said in a statement Wednesday on the Swiss bank linked to FIFA.Advertisement Read Also: Messi nets right-footed rocket as first Barca goal under Koeman Julius Baer was also penalized in February by Switzerland’s financial regulator for failing in its duty to combat money laundering, including in its ties to FIFA officials. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Mysterious Discoveries From All Around The WorldWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooGorgeous Asian Actresses All Men Are Crazy AboutWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?A Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This Day6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesThe 18 Most Visited Cities In The World
Batesville, In. — The 29th Annual Batesville Area Arts Council Art Auction will held February 8 at the Walhill Farm at 6 p.m.The event includes a silent auction and entertainment by the Endless Summer Band.For more information please call 812-933-0355.