Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Rivals kick off title clash Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set MOST READ Derrick Rose #1 of the Cleveland Cavaliers dribbles the ball against the Washington Wizards at Capital One Arena on November 3, 2017 in Washington, DC. NOTE TO Rob Carr/Getty Images/AFPCLEVELAND — Derrick Rose’s injuries may have pushed him to a breaking point.The former league MVP, who has been trying to revive his career with the Cavaliers, left the team earlier this week to handle a personal matter. A team spokesman said Friday that Rose has been excused since Wednesday and there is no timetable for his return.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? “We want him to take his time — just know the team, the coaches, the organization, we all have his back and wish him well,” Lue said before the Cavs, who have won six straight, hosted the Charlotte Hornets. “We expect to have him back. I reached out to him and texted him and told him that we support him. We know he’s going through a tough time right now.”Rose has played in just seven of Cleveland’s 18 games this season because of a left ankle injury the point guard sustained while driving to the basket on Oct. 20 in Milwaukee. He’s averaging 14.3 points per game in his first season with Cleveland.Rose’s career has been slowed by knee injuries, which have required surgeries. He sat out the entire 2012-13 season in Chicago and played only 10 games the following year due to injury.The medical issues have taken an understandable toll on Rose.“He has been through injury after injury for the last few years,” Hornets coach Steve Clifford said. “When you’ve played at an MVP level like he has, I’m sure that’s hard to take. Listen, he’s still playing at a high level. I think he averaged 18 points last year with New York and was playing well when he got hurt this month. They always say the toughest thing for the great ones is when you lose a step.”ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours The 29-year-old Rose had been excited about a new start with Cleveland after spending last season with the New York Knicks. He signed a one-year, $2.1 million free agent contract this summer with the Cavs and was expected to be the team’s backup point guard behind Isaiah Thomas.However, Thomas is still recovering from a hip injury sustained last season with Boston, and Rose was thrust into a starting role.Rose dropped some weight to pressure off his knee joints, and showed flashes of his former self before getting hurt. The ankle had been bothering him for nearly a month when Cavs coach Tyronn Lue announced last week that Rose would be sidelined for “at least” two more weeks.Rose had been wearing a walking boot and undergoing treatment on his ankle.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson View comments Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The team did not offer any other details about Rose’s absence.ESPN reported that Rose is taking personal time “to evaluate his future in the NBA.” A team source told ESPN that Rose’s numerous injuries are “taking a toll on him mentally.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throneRose’s agent, B.J. Armstrong, did not immediately return messages from the AP seeking comment.Cavs coach Tyronn Lue expects Rose to return to the team.
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Dr. Francis Kateh, has attributed the recent Ebola outbreak in Margibi County to the continuation of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in West Africa, and not a separate introduction from a ‘reservoir’ population.Dr. Kateh’s statement allays fears that the resurgence of the virus was a result of the victims eating “dead dog.”The information released by Dr. Kateh at a press conference in Monrovia Friday follows an investigation conducted into the new Ebola outbreak by the Liberian Institute for Biomedical Research (LIBR), United States Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) and the Ministry of Health (MOH) respectively.Dr. Kateh disclosed that the institutions completed nearly 99% coverage of genomes (an organism set of DNA) that were obtained from both the body swab and blood taken from the patient posthumously (after death).The CMO noted that following a series of laboratory tests, both sequences proved to be identical and are consistent with the area where the recent outbreak occurred, representing a continuation of the ongoing Ebola Virus in West Africa.According to the Liberia News Agency (LINA), Dr. Kateh indicated that the sequence matches with previous isolates from Liberia and is distinct from the viruses currently circulating in Sierra Leone and Guinea.He added that the level of sequence difference between this case and previous isolates is significantly lower than is expected, based on the date of isolation and outbreak-wide estimates of the virus’ rate of development.It may be recalled that on June 28, three months after the last reported Ebola victim in Liberia was buried, a 17-year-old boy, Abraham Meimeiga, died of the virus in Nendowein, a small village near Smell No Taste otherwise known as Unification Town, Margibi County.Since then, four others associated with the case have tested positive and are undergoing treatment at the ELWA Ebola Treatment Unit in Paynesville.Meanwhile, sequencing of the other cases associated with this flare-up of the virus is ongoing as the MOH has placed 14 people in the area at higher risk.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Prominent West Indian cricketer Chris Gayle has categorically stated that he was not affiliated with any political party amid negative comments when he showed up at a rally organised by the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) on Saturday.Cricketer Chris GayleGayle was spotted in photos on social media alongside members of the party during the event at Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) and many condemned his presence.However, the Jamaican batsman clarified that he did not endorse any political party in Guyana. As a matter of fact, he sought to set the record straight by stating that the trip was an invitation to participate in a community outreach.During last weekend’s activities, the PNCR was observing its 62nd anniversary at Congress Place in the mining town with a grand rally and cultural presentation.He explained, “I, Christopher Gayle, would like to make it very clear that I in no way, manner or form endorse or support any individual or political party in Guyana. I have noted the many social media comments in relation to my recent presence in Linden and I wish to set the record. I was invited to Linden to participate in a community outreach.”He further went on to say that meeting fans was a great outlet as a sportsman and condemned any attempts to tarnish his brand. When it comes to politics, Gayle stressed that he is apolitical.“As a sports personality, I relish the opportunity to meet with my fans and also to reach out to any community under the neutral banner of sports. I am apolitical of any political commitment and strongly condemn attempts to tarnish my brand and personality.”Ever since President David Granger announced March 2, 2020 as the election date, political parties have begun the race to campaign by rolling out manifestos and visiting their support base.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo had already called out the coalition last month as Cabinet outreaches continued, unabated. He had noted that approximately $2 billion had already been spent on what he essentially called political campaigning.Jagdeo made this observation during a press conference in which he referenced statements from Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph Harmon. Harmon had defended the outreaches by saying that they were catered for in the budget.“Harmon said it’s provided for in the Budget. They have spent about $2 billion on these outreaches. The outreach is part of their campaign,” Jagdeo said.
For information call (909) 394-6230. San Dimas Parks and Recreation offers a Teen Tuesdays open gym program from 7-9 p.m., until May 29, at San Dimas High School, 800 W. Covina Blvd. Recreation staff will conduct active games, including basketball, volleyball and broom hockey. Teen Tuesdays is open to children in grades 6-12. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
0Shares0000A Rome bus drives past an advertising poster for an underwear brand, showing a picture of Juventus’ Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo © AFP/File / Alberto PIZZOLILISBON, Portugal, Oct 10 – Cristiano Ronaldo insisted again Wednesday that he did not rape a woman he met in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009 and that their sexual encounter was “completely consensual”, said his lawyer.“Ronaldo is forced to break his silence,” said the Juventus and Portuguese star’s lawyer Peter Christiansen in a statement released through Gestifute, the company which manages the player’s affairs. “Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo’s position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual.”Police in Las Vegas announced last week that they were reopening an investigation into allegations made by a former model, Kathryn Mayorga, relating to an incident in 2009.Ronaldo has vehemently denied the rape accusations.“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me,” the 33-year-old said in a statement.“Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.”Mayorga claims she was pressured into signing a non-disclosure agreement in 2010 to keep the alleged rape secret and is seeking at least $200,000 in penalties and damages.“Cristiano Ronaldo does not deny that he agreed to conclude an agreement,” added Christiansen.“This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt. What happened was simply that Cristiano Ronaldo merely followed the advice of his advisers in order to put an end to the insulting accusations made against him in order to avoid attempts, such as those now witnessed, to destroy a reputation built thanks to intense work, great athleticism and ethically impeccable behaviour.”Christiansen added “documents that allegedly contain statements by Cristiano Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure invention”.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
A 10-man shortlist for UEFA’s Best Player in Europe award has been announced and there aren’t any surprises.In fact the only shock came in the initial polling when Wigan’s Will Grigg was joint 25th with Diego Godin, Hugo Lloris and Paul Pogba before the list was whittled down. This means he was ranked higher than Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Man City’s Kevin De Bruyne.The award is given to the player, regardless of nationality, playing his club football in Europe. They are judged on their performances over the course of the season in all competitions at both domestic and international level, with Lionel Messi winning the 2015 edition. 11 11 7. Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich and Germany) 11 11 11 9. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal) 2. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy) 11 11 11 5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina) 3. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid and France) 1. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid and Wales) – click the arrow above, right, to see the final shortlist for the Best Player in Europe award 8. Pepe (Real Madrid and Portugal) 6. Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich and Germany) 11 11 11 10. Luis Suarez (Barcelona and Uruguay) 4. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid and Germany) The final shortlist is deduced when journalists from each of UEFA’s 55 member associations provide a list of their five top players, with the first receiving five points, the second four and so on. The 10 with the most points advance to the second vote, with the three finalists set to be named on 5 August.The winner is announced during the Champions League group stage draw on 25 August.
EUREKA >> At any given time it could have been anyone’s game.But it was the Fortuna volleyball team that came out on top in a hard fought four-set match at 25-17, 20-25, 25-22, and 25-21 against Eureka (9-6) at Jay Willard Gymnasium Thursday night.The Huskies (3-3) were led offensively by the hard-hitting Emily Dill with 18 kills, followed by Taylor Fournier with eight and Mikenzie Palotas aided with 24 assists.The first frame started out with the Loggers jumping ahead early 4-1. Fortuna …
New sickening video footage has emerged apparently showing Russian-backed rebels arriving at the scene of the MH17 crash in eastern Ukraine, believing they’d shot down a Ukrainian fighter jet.All 298 passengers and crew – the majority Dutch – died on July 17 last year when the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, on a flight between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over rebel-held east Ukraine during heavy fighting between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists.The footage – which was reportedly filmed by the rebels themselves and released by News Corp Australia – allegedly shows the insurgents dismay as they discover the aircraft is a commercial jet.It shows the rebels rifling through the luggage of passengers and crew and their discussion is disturbing.There is confusion and then realisation that their missile has brought down the passenger plane and not a Sukhoi fighter. “You see, they are foreigners, Malaysians,” the rebels say.Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told media she was sickened by footage but couldn’t verify the authenticity of the video.A final report by the Dutch Safety Board is due to be released in early October.According to AFP Britain has joined the chorus of countries calling for a UN-backed tribunal to prosecute those responsible for downing flight MH17 on the first anniversary of the disaster.Kiev and the West point the finger at the separatists, saying they may have used a BUK surface-to-air missile supplied by Russia to down the plane. But Moscow denies involvement and instead accuses Ukraine’s military.“Justice must be delivered for the 298 innocent people who lost their lives,” British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said in a statement. “That requires an international tribunal, backed by a resolution binding all UN member states, to prosecute those responsible.”The Netherlands is leading the retrieval of victims’ remains and investigating the cause of the crash, as well as finding and punishing possible perpetrators. Apart from two passengers, both Dutch, the remains of all other victims have been found and positively identified.The Dutch Safety Board is expected to release a final report into the cause of the crash during the first week of October, but has stressed it will only address the cause of the crash, not the perpetrators.The Board released a preliminary report last September saying damage to the plane’s forward fuselage and cockpit section appears to “indicate that there were impacts from a large number of high-energy objects from outside”.AFP says that a criminal probe by a joint investigation team consisting of Australian, Belgian, Dutch, Malaysian and Ukrainian detectives is underway.