To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Queensland Deputy Premier Jackie Trad speaks during Question Time at Parliament House in Brisbane. Image: AAP/Glenn Hunt.THE details of the sale of Queensland’s most controversial house have finally been revealed.The Woolloongabba property formerly owned by the state’s deputy premier was recently sold in an offmarket deal, which has now settled, with a title search revealing the buyer is registered as Yue Wu. The century-old property at 48 Abingdon Street sparked corruption allegations earlier this year when The Courier-Mail revealed Jackie Trad failed to declare the purchase, despite it standing to benefit from her signature infrastructure project, the Cross River Rail. This house at 48 Abingdon Street, Woolloongabba, was owned by Queensland’s Deputy Premier Jackie Trad. Image: AAP/Josh Woning.That sparked an investigation that led to her losing carriage of the project.Public records reveal the property, which was built in 1910, has just listed for rent through Position Property for $550 a week and is available now.Listing agent Oliver Creevy said he was unaware the house had previously been owned by Ms Trad. The kitchen in the house at 48 Abingdon Street, Woolloongabba.Mr Creevy would not disclose any details about the buyer, except to say it had been bought as an investment property.The house was well presented, but did not have the usual tenant must-haves such as airconditioning, ceiling fans or a dishwasher.Mr Creevy said he’d had a few inquiries since listing the property on Friday. The bathroom in the house at 48 Abingdon Street, Woolloongabba.The property comes with traditional features such as high ceilings, original breezeways, hardwood floors and VJ walls. Its location is hard to beat though — only 2km from the CBD and with Southbank and West End at its doorstep.Ms Trad and husband Damien Van Brunschot’s family company, VBT Investments, bought the property in March. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus10 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market10 hours agoThe back of the house at 48 Abingdon Street, Woolloongabba.They paid $695,000 for the three-bedroom, one-bathroom house and promised to sell it for the same amount, after concerns the property may have gained in value because of its proximity to the rail project.The Treasurer referred herself to Queensland’s crime watchdog over the purchase in July, as did the LNP. An artist’s impression of the Cross River Rail project in Woolloongabba.The Crime and Corruption Commission cleared Ms Trad of corruption and dishonesty, but found she breached ministerial and cabinet rules.The state’s Integrity Commissioner found Ms Trad should have declared the purchase and absented herself from a key cabinet committee decision on Cross River Rail. Queensland Deputy Premier Jackie Trad at Parliament House in Brisbane. Image: AAP/Glenn Hunt.
A caucus will be held in the coming weeks to elect a new District 3 City Council member in Batesville.Bob Narwold accepted a city position with the Batesville Buildings Department earlier this month, vacating his seat due to state law prohibiting city employees from serving on council.District 3 is located in both Ripley and Franklin counties. Officials will figure out which county has the larger population, and that will determine which county will preside over the caucus.Ripley County Republican Chairman Ginger Bradford said a caucus will be held in both counties if a candidate from Ripley County and a candidate from Franklin County file for the vacant seat.To be eligible for election a person must reside in District 3 and also be in good standing with the Republican Party, Bradford added. If interested in filing for the council seat call Bradford at (812) 756-0778.Batesville resident Jim Fritsch has filed in Ripley County for District 3 council seat, Bradford said.The plan is to have the vacated position filled by the next city council meeting on April 14.
Batesville, In. — On Sunday, November 4, at 2 am, clocks will be turned back one hour, heralding the end of daylight saving time for much of the country.The biggest consequence: The change shifts daylight back into the morning hours. For 9-to-5 office workers, it means saying goodbye to leaving work while it’s still light out. And for weekend workers, it means an additional glorious hour of sleep on Sunday. And for election weary people it means one more hour of political adds.Daylight Saving Time started as an energy conservation method in World War I and became a national standard in the 1960’s.
The Milan Lady Indians Softball team won three of four games. They were victorious over The Jac-Cen-Del Lady Eagles, Batesville Lady Bulldogs, and Southwestern Lady Rebels. They came up short against The 2A #8 Union County Lady Patriots.Milan__IN__vs_Southwestern__Hanover__IN__Girls_Softball_05092019_c9cccae5_0292_4d5b_9884_0426110dfaf1Milan__IN__vs_Batesville__IN__Girls_Softball_05142019_49eef1a4_07db_4bb0_8afd_3a4e47d82489Milan__IN__vs_Jac_Cen_Del__Osgood__IN__Girls_Softball_05102019_7d6858c4_3630_4735_9c9e_add561088e1bMilan__IN__vs_Union_County__Liberty__IN__Girls_Softball_05152019_377772dc_2c8e_4953_a86c_0569fdbe5ca6Courtesy of Indians Coaches Eric Widener and Yatsie Roysden.
Press Association Manchester United manager David Moyes brushed off Jose Mourinho’s declared admiration of Wayne Rooney by again insisting the striker was going nowhere. What Mourinho said, a few miles away from Chelsea’s team hotel in Bangkok hours after their arrival, was typical of the man, retreating from a question initially before saying just enough to trigger a headline. “I cannot speak about players from other teams,” he said. “But you know me…I always say what I think and he is a player I like very much. I cannot say more than that. Being fast and direct, I like him very much. But he is a Manchester United player.” Rooney could clearly deal with the confusion himself by stating his own thoughts on his future. It is something within his power given the speed with which he underlined how disappointed he was to be leaving Thailand. But it has not happened. And until it does, the speculation will continue no matter what Moyes says. “I have really covered all the things on Wayne,” the United boss said. “You mustn’t forget Manchester United is about a team, not any one individual. In lots of ways I am only interested in the team and some of the questions are reverting back to stuff I covered last week.” At least Moyes was able to deliver some positive news on Rooney’s injury. Though the problem is evidently much worse than when it first surfaced at Carrington prior to departure on Wednesday, the United boss feels Rooney could be fit by the time his team-mates return home at the end of the month. It seems skipper Nemanja Vidic is another who will play no part in the tour, even though United’s initial response to his absence from their flight out of Manchester was to say the Serbia defender would eventually join up. Vidic is presently undergoing a series of injections to ease a problem with the sciatic nerve in his back. And, at this stage, Moyes cannot be certain whether Portugal winger Nani will make it either. Moyes said: “Nani had an operation on his nose to clear a bit of breathing. At the moment we are not sure if flying is allowed. That is the one downside to it.” The comment is not strictly true given Rooney has gone home, returning to Manchester with a hamstring injury after spending a matter of hours in Thailand ahead of United’s tour opener. However, it is clear Moyes will not be moved from the mantra he has repeated on an almost daily basis. And not even Mourinho can change it. “I don’t think so,” the Scot said, when asked if the Chelsea manager was being mischievous. “People are entitled to talk about good players. I am being asked plenty about Wayne so I am sure Jose will be getting asked about lots of players as well. It is hard to keep repeating myself – but I will do. Wayne is a Manchester United player and will remain that.”
Manager Manuel Pellegrini has stated his desire to top the table by new year, an ambition that could obviously hinge around the Gunners’ visit to the Etihad Stadium on December 14. But around that fixture are a series of equally important away games in the next three weeks in which City must seek to address their travelling deficiencies. While City have a 100 per cent home league record – maintained with a 3-0 defeat of Swansea on Sunday – they have lost four out of six on the road. That quirky statistic is undermining their title challenge and Nasri accepts it must be addressed this week as City travel to West Brom on Wednesday and Southampton next Saturday. The Frenchman, looking to maintain the form that saw him score twice against the Swans, said: “We have a tough week, we are playing two games away from home. “The most important thing now is to recover from this game and be ready against West Brom because we have to improve our form away from home. “We have to mind the gap with Arsenal before we play them here and we have two games away from home. “We have to show the same mentality and the same desire we have at home. We are a good team but now we have to show it away from home.” City’s victory over Swansea lifted them to third in the table, but still six points behind Arsenal. In all competitions five of their next six games before Christmas are away from home. Samir Nasri knows the crunch could come for Manchester City this month as they look to reel in Barclays Premier League leaders Arsenal. Press Association Defender Gael Clichy believes the away results are just an anomaly. He said: “It’s great to play in a team like this. We have great players and, at home, with the fans behind us, it seems to work better than it does away. “But taking game after game will be a key point for us and hopefully we can now improve our away record. “You have to look at the positive side – even though we lost against Cardiff, Aston Villa and Sunderland away, we still managed to play better than the opposition. “This is a new team with a new manager and new players and we are only going to get better. “We are confident it will get better, hopefully starting on Wednesday.” City, 6-0 victors over Tottenham the previous week, looked like they were going to cruise to another comfortable home victory against Swansea. They had two good chances before Alvaro Negredo opened the scoring after eight minutes and hit the bar through Martin Demichelis soon after. But Swansea responded well and dominated the rest of the first half. They should have equalised when Jonathan de Guzman shot over with just the goalkeeper to beat before half-time but City upped the tempo after the break. Nasri settled the game with strikes in the 58th and 77th minutes after good balls from Yaya Toure and Pablo Zabaleta. While City will turn their attention to their away form, Swansea might be pleased to have back-to-back home games coming up. Michael Laudrup’s side have hit a sticky spell with just one win in eight games in all competitions since mid-October. In-form Newcastle – beaten twice by Swansea last season – visit the Liberty Stadium in midweek before Hull make the journey to south Wales. Goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel, who played at Eastlands as Michel Vorm was not deemed sufficiently match-fit, told the club’s website, www.swanseacity.net: “These two home games are very important. “We knew before today that it would be difficult to take anything away from Manchester City – but in terms of passing and possession we can take a lot of positives. “I think they (Newcastle) struggled a bit last season with the amount of games, particularly in the Europa League. “But they are on a good run, have good players and it will be a difficult game. But at home, we can beat anyone.”
Press Association Rafael joined United along with his twin brother Fabio from Brazilian club Fluminense in 2008. His sibling may have been moved on to Cardiff, but Rafael became a first-team regular under Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes, and now the 24-year-old wants to impress new manager Louis van Gaal. Rafael knows he must perform to the best of his ability if he is to extend his contract at Manchester United and realise his dream of staying at Old Trafford for the rest of his career. Van Gaal, who ruthlessly cut loose some of his fringe players in the transfer window, will have the final say on whether the right-back is worthy of an extension to his current contract, which is due to expire at the end of next season. “I am glad I am still here, but sad because a lot of friends have left,” Rafael told United Uncovered. “I want to keep going and stay here forever, if possible. “It depends on me to play well, I need to play well. I just want to stay here. “I came here at 15-years-old so I have to say that I feel at home here. “I can never say enough about this club. It is one of the best clubs in the world, if not the best in the world.” Although diminutive in size, Rafael’s role at United has been a big one since Gary Neville hung up his boots in 2011. Upon his retirement, the former England defender ear-marked Rafael as the man to succeed him in the right-back role he occupied at Old Trafford for over a decade. Ferguson once said Rafael trained “like a beast”, but the defender now has another role to play at the club – one of mentor. He may be just 24, but Rafael thinks he has an important role to play in helping United’s recent academy graduates and new signings settle in to the first-team squad. “When I first came here, I saw how a lot of players helped me like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes,” Rafael said. “Gary Neville, even though he played in my position, helped me a lot because he was one of the best right-backs in the world. “I want to do the same when I see some young players come in. Sometimes it’s difficult so my job is to try to help them. “Before, I saw some players arriving, foreign players, and they just cannot understand anything and I was exactly the same. “Sometimes, I still want to say: ‘What are they saying?’ It’s so hard and I try to help them because I know how difficult that is.” Defender Chris Smalling has recovered from a groin injury and is available for United, although Sam Johnstone (elbow), Phil Jones (hamstring), Ashley Young (groin), Michael Carrick (ankle), Jesse Lingard (knee), Marouane Fellaini (ankle) are out. Reece James and James Wilson are unlikely to feature due to unspecified injuries, but left-back Luke Shaw could make his debut. Boss Nigel Pearson has warned he is not at Leicester to be the players’ friend – as Kasper Schmeichel seeks a recall. The goalkeeper missed last week’s 1-0 win at Stoke with a strained ligament but has recovered in time to face United. Ben Hamer deputised to keep the Foxes’ first clean sheet of the season meaning they go into Sunday’s clash with United level on points. But with almost a full squad to choose from, although United loanee Nick Powell is ineligible, Pearson must make tough choices. He said: ”Kasper is 100 per cent, everyone else is available. It’s great to have plenty of players to choose from. That’s a better position to be in than have selection issues. ”I would rather have to make decisions, that’s always a better situation to be here. I’m not here to be the players’ friend. ”You can’t keep everyone happy and the challenge is to try and keep people on side. Deep down they all know the rewards are there for us. We need to find the right way of getting the best out of our own players. ”The bottom line is we have a club that we are trying to maximise. It doesn’t happen overnight. It has taken a while to get a group of people that share the same goals. ”You can’t hide from the fact that if people are working in the right direction you have a better chance of succeeding.” Esteban Cambiasso could start for Leicester after his impressive 45-minute outing in the win over Stoke last week. The former Inter Milan midfielder is primed for a home debut after joining on a free transfer in the summer.
Mick Halford’s three-year-old was pushed out by Sean Corby to get the better of Chillie Billie, who had won at the Galway Festival three weeks ago. Cailin Mor (16-1), who joined Halford’s team when Joanna Morgan retired in the spring, got the verdict by half a length after being unplaced in her first three starts this term. Sister Slew was third. Press Association Cailin Mor bounced back to form with a hard-fought victory in the Luke & Nellie Comer Apprentice Handicap at the Curragh. Halford said: “I must admit she’s had no luck in the three runs she’s had for us. “A drop of rain and riding her a bit more settled has helped. I’m glad I’ve got the key to her now. “She’s a big strong filly now. She won her nursery for Joanna last year on fast ground in Fairyhouse. She’s a beautiful mover but we were running out of options so she was going to run today whatever the ground. “We’ll see what’s in the book for her now, but she stays seven well and enjoyed the ease in the ground, so that will open up her options.” An Saighdiur (8-1) rolled back the years when landing his first victory since April 2014 in the Sycamore Lodge Equine Hospital Handicap. Andrew Slattery’s eight-year-old knuckled down gamely to see off the 100-30 favourite Have A Nice Day by a length and a quarter. Tylery Wonder was third. “He was handicapped on fast ground and he’s always wanted it soft,” said Slattery. “It will be the Ayr Gold Cup or Silver Cup next, whichever he gets into.”
According to the report, Mayor Stermer began feeling ill on March 31st, and isolated himself while he waited for his test results.The mayor says he will continue to quarantine himself and work from home until April 14th. Officials in the City of Weston, Florida have reported that Mayor Daniel J. Stermer has tested positive for the coronavirus.The city posted the news on it’s Twitter feed Sunday night after the mayor received his test results.Our Mayor Daniel J. Stermer has tested positive for #Coronavirus. Sick since 3/31 he has been in quarantine and received his test results tonight. He will stay in quarantine until 4/14 at min. Always the optimist & fighter, he continues to work from home. #Weston @browardleague pic.twitter.com/Nuk793rqP0— City of Weston (@CityofWeston) April 6, 2020