Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Reports that some council members from Europe’s governing body UEFA might be leaning towards Colombia have caused some late jitters Down Under, however, and triggered memories of Australia’s ill-fated bid to host the 2022 men’s World Cup.”I am nervous to be honest,” Australia captain Sam Kerr told the Sydney Morning Herald. “I am just nervous.”If successful, the opening ceremony of the ninth Women’s World Cup would take place on July 10, 2023 at Auckland’s Eden Park with the final at Sydney’s Stadium Australia a month later.New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and her Australian counterpart Scott Morrison will lead the bid’s final charm offensive ahead of the vote, which will take place by video conference because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Sydney Opera House and Auckland’s Sky Tower were lit up in blue and green to celebrate the joint Australian-New Zealand bid to host the 2032 Women’s World Cup on Thursday, just a few hours before FIFA makes its decision.The “AsOne” bid is up against Colombia in a vote by 35 members of FIFA’s ruling council with a result expected at around 1600 GMT, which will be 2 a.m. on Friday on the east coast of Australia and 4 a.m. in New Zealand.The Australasian bid was installed as a strong favorite to bring one of FIFA’s showpiece tournaments to the region for the first time after a bid evaluation report rated it 4.1 out of five to 2.8 for Colombia’s proposal. Topics :
Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 2 Oct 2019 2:01 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Comment Emiliano Martinez is currently Arsenal’s cup goalkeeper but wants Bernd Leno’s No.1 shirt (Picture: Getty)Emiliano Martinez has warned Bernd Leno he is not content playing second fiddle to the Germany international.The former Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper has firmly established himself as Arsenal’s No.1 and was one of the few players to emerge from Monday’s 1-1 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford with any credit.With Petr Cech having retired at the end of last season and David Ospina joining Napoli on a permanent basis, Martinez has been promoted up the Arsenal goalkeeping pecking order.The 27-year-old has been forced to bid his time for opportunities having joined Arsenal seven years ago and been sent out on loan to six different clubs.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMartinez has kept two clean sheets in cup competitions this season and was earlier this week rewarded with his first call-up to the senior Argentina squad, but he insists he is still hungry for more.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalHe said: ‘That’s [being No.1] is what I’m working for. We’ve worked really hard. To play for Arsenal you have to challenge everyone. Matt challenges me and I challenge Bernd.‘I don’t know if people aren’t taking the Europa League seriously, it’s a great competition… We always take it really seriously.‘Since I signed for this club my goal was always to be a No.1. I’ve been here for 10 years, I came as a young boy and now I’m a grown man.‘Some loans were good, some were bad. That’s the dream, I won’t stop until I’m the No.1 for Argentina.‘Do I feel I’m the best? Of course. If you want to be the No.1 you have to.‘Sal and Javi have taken me to another level, I’m very grateful but my goals are to go higher.’Is Emi Martinez good enough to be Arsenal’s No.1?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsMORE: The real reason former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger sold Serge GnabryMORE: Arsenal scouts to watch transfer target Dominik Szoboszlai in action against Liverpool Advertisement Emiliano Martinez sends warning to Arsenal teammate Bernd Leno
Tyler Gwozdz, a Palm Beach County resident who appeared briefly on Season 15 of the ABC television show “The Bachelorette,” died on Wednesday, following an apparent overdose that happened last week at an apartment in Boca Raton.Authorities have confirmed to The Palm Beach Post that they are conducting a criminal investigation into the 29-year-old’s death.The Medical Examiner’s Office says all reports in Gwozdz’s death are pending.The investigation began shortly around 10:30 a.m. on January 13, when a woman called 911 and told the dispatcher that Gwozdz had locked himself in a bathroom in her home and was possibly overdosing on heroin.In the five-minute call, the woman, who described herself as a Gwozdz’s friend, can be heard pleading for Gwozdz to wake up. She breaks into the bathroom during the call and finds Gwozdz unresponsive and lying on his side.He was taken to a hospital, where he remained until his death.Gwozdz appeared on the show last May, but left after just one episode, for unknown reasons. He was a psychology graduate student, according to ABC’s profile of Gwozdz, who used the name “Tyler G” on the show.During the show, Gwozdz earned a one-on-one date with the female star, Hannah Brown.The only mention of him after his departure was on the following episode, when Brown said that Gwozdz “had to leave” during her group date, and that she had been looking forward to getting to know him.Producers of “The Bachelor” said in a statement to “Bachelor Nation,” “We are heartbroken to hear the tragic news of Tyler’s passing today. Our thoughts are with the Gwozdz family and his friends.”
Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan The No. 1-ranked USC women’s golf team began their fall season Monday, tying for eighth after one round at the Dale McNamara Fall Preview in Tulsa, Okla. The round marked the Women of Troy’s first steps toward defending their 2012 National Championship, won by one of the largest margins in NCAA history.Sophomore Kyung Kim, who tied for sixth at last year’s NCAA championship as a freshman, led the Women of Troy on Monday with a 1-under 69. Her score was good enough to put her in a nine-way tie for third place. Kim struggled on the front nine, but strung together two consecutive birdies on the back nine to lift her up the leaderboard and within two strokes of first place.Freshman Gabriella Then made a strong debut for the Trojans, hovering near par all day before falling to 1-over on the 18th hole. Then is tied for 21st but is just four strokes behind Oklahoma State’s Julie Yang at the top of the leaderboard. Stanford’s Lauren Kim is in sole possession of second place.Two of USC’s team leaders from a year ago, senior Sophia Popov and sophomore Annie Park, struggled in comparison to their excellent spring campaigns. Popov finished with a 2-over 73, while Park came in at 5-over. The odds are favorable that this pair will return to form, considering Popov is aiming at several USC career records this season and Park is defending an individual national title.The Women of Troy have 10 strokes to make up if they are to catch leader No. 16 Oklahoma State over the next two rounds. No. 3 Duke, No. 4 Oklahoma and No. 12 Stanford also stand in the team’s way. The rest of the tournament can be followed all day Tuesday and Wednesday on golfstat.com.
Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien insists that misfiring Fernando Torres has the full support of his team-mates despite going 10 games without scoring since his arrival in January.Torres was expected to help fire Chelsea back into the title race after his £50 million transfer but the striker has struggled to form a partnership with Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka and has yet to hit the back of the net for his new club.Essien, however, has revealed he expects the Spanish international to start scoring soon and that he has the backing of the rest of the Blues squad.“To be honest, we’re not concerned. We know it’s going to come,” he told Sky Sports.“He’s been working very hard and has everyone’s support. We just have to be patient. He’ll start scoring for us in time.Essien explained that he still felt Torres was one of the best strikers in the world and was looking forward to seeing him get back into his old ways to prove his hefty transfer fee. “Nando is one of the best strikers in the world at this moment,” he continued.“When he starts scoring, all the noise about him will stop. It’s just a matter of time.“Coming into a new club, he needs to settle. The players and the club have no doubts about him. We know he’s going to deliver.”Source: Goal.com
Alexis Sanchez’s first goal for Arsenal since his £35m move from Barcelona claimed the prize of a place in the Champions League group stage for the 17th successive season on a tense night at Emirates Stadium.The Chilean struck the goal that edged out Besiktas but Arsenal had to survive nervous moments – including playing the last 14 minutes with 10 men after Mathieu Debuchy was sent off – before winning this qualifier.And for manager Arsene Wenger, Sanchez’s strike ensured a rich reward on his expensive summer investment as Arsenal once again go into Thursday’s draw for the group phase.Besiktas were furious when Jack Wilshere’s first-half tackle on Ramon Motta in the area went unpunished while Arsenal missed chances of their own to ease the anxiety sweeping around the stadium in the closing stages.Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown on BBC Radio 5 live”As an Arsenal fan, my heart was in my mouth a few times. The Jack Wilshere penalty claim was 100% a penalty for Besiktas.”They have scrapped through, but they are through, and Arsene Wenger has preserved his wonderful record.” With Aaron Ramsey suspended, Wilshere was at the heart of Arsenal’s best work with an energetic display that put recent poor form behind him, while Sanchez demonstrated the work-rate and quality up front that has Wenger believing he will be central to their season.Arsenal also showed defensive resilience with reduced numbers in the dying moments as Turkish side Besiktas cast caution aside in the search for the goal that would have put them into the lucrative next stage of the Champions League.It was always going to be tense after a goalless first leg and even though this qualifier was decided on fine margins, Arsenal will ultimately have no complaints because this was all about ensuring they did not slip out at this hurdle.Wenger must now decide whether losing striker Olivier Giroud – out for the rest of the year after surgery on a broken tibia – will force him into the transfer market before the window closes on Monday. Alexis Sanchez’s last Champions League goal was for Barcelona against Benfica in October 2012.Arsenal have attacking talent but it remains open to debate whether they have the sort of wider firepower that will enable them to mount a serious Premier League title challenge and tackle the best the Champions League has to offer.Who Arsenal could get in the group stagesBest case: Arsenal, Basle, Sporting, MariborWorst case: Arsenal, PSG, Ajax, RomaA promising early opening, which saw Wilshere slide an angled drive wide when he should have hit the target and Santi Cazorla do the same from keeper Tolga Zengin’s wayward clearance, proved something of a false dawn. Besiktas were determined in defence and carried a threat going forward that led to an air of frustration as their first half progressed.And the visitors were also nursing a sense of injustice as they felt they were denied two penalties when Debuchy slid in on Mustafa Pektemek and when Wilshere appeared to take down Motta as he slipped making a challenge in the area.Sanchez’s goal means that Arsenal will play in the Champions League for a 17th consecutive season.Besiktas coach Slaven Bilic – forced to watch from the stands after being sent from his technical area in the first leg – certainly felt aggrieved as he jumped out of his seat in protest at referee Pedro Proenca’s refusal to rule in favour of his side. Just as Arsenal looked certain to get to half-time on level terms, Wilshere forced the issue with another run into the area to play in Sanchez for an angled finish.The pair linked up again early in the second half as Wilshere’s vision gave Sanchez another opportunity inside the area but his snapshot was deflected off target.Former Chelsea striker Demba Ba gave Arsenal a worrying moment with a shot into the sidenetting on the turn – but the Gunners had moments of their own to settle it, with Debuchy heading wide and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain seeing a shot blocked by Zengin from only eight yards.The concerns increased for Arsenal and Wenger when they were reduced to 10 men with 14 minutes left after Debuchy received a second yellow card for tangling with Pektemek. He clearly got the ball but referee Proenca felt he had dragged the player back first.Besiktas attempted to press home their numerical advantage, Ba almost getting on the end of one cross, but Arsenal held out and the Emirates was able to look forward to more Champions League football. Ja Jack Wilshere was fortunate not to concede a penalty in the first half.Right-ba Mathieu Debuchy will now miss Arsenal’s first group game through suspension.
Six people were injured on Saturday when a bolt of lightning struck a 60-foot pine at the PGA Tour championship in Atlanta, according to police.The third round of the season-ending event had been suspended for about half an hour due to stormy weather, and fans were seeking shelter. The lightning strike hit the top of the tree, which is just off the 16th tee, and shattered the bark to the bottom.Atlanta Police spokesman James H. White III says five men and one female juvenile were injured. All of them were taken to hospitals for treatment, and all were alert, conscious and breathing. The championship includes 30 players who are competing for the FedEx Cup and a $15 million prize.Golfer Justin Thomas, who was enjoying a one-shot lead through five holes when play was suspended, says he and players were eating in the clubhouse when “it felt like the entire clubhouse shook” from the thunder.The PGA Tour canceled play for the remainder of Saturday.
A Publix spokesperson said over the weekend that employees in 10 of the chain’s Palm Beach County stores have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.“We are proud of how our dedicated associates are taking care of our customers and each other through this unprecedented and challenging time. And, we thank our customers for continuing to trust us with providing them with the goods and services they need,” Publix Director of Communications Maria Brous stated.She continued, “Like other essential service providers, we have seen our own associates and their families personally impacted by COVID-19. Unfortunately, as public health officials have indicated, we expect to see an increase in cases as the virus spreads in our communities.”Publix did not reveal how many employees tested positive but provided the locations of the stores where the employees work.Those stores include:-Clint Moore Road in Boca Raton-South Federal Highway in Boca Raton-North Congress Avenue in Boynton Beach-Jog Road in Delray Beach-Glades Road in Boca Raton-Hagen Ranch Road in Boynton Beach-South Federal Highway in Delray Beach-Southern Boulevard in Royal Palm Beach-South State Road 7 in Royal Palm Beach-South Military Trail in West Palm BeachThe supermarket chain says all employees will have paid leave for 14 days if they test positive for the virus or have come into in close contact with someone who has it.Since the pandemic began, Publix has installed plexiglass shields at registers, requiring employees to wear face masks, adjusted its store hours to restock shelves, and introduced a disinfection program that focuses on high-touch surfaces like touchpads, door and drawer handles, phones and computers.
ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 31, 2015)–With fast fractions to run at, trainer Mark Casse’s Conquest Two Step flew through the stretch to win Saturday’s Grade II, $200,000 Palos Verdes Stakes by 1 ¼ lengths under a high-riding Joe Talamo who registered his third win on the card. With favored Distinctiv Passion carving out fractions of 21.21, 43.54 and 55.61, Conquest Two Step was fourth, approximately eight lengths off the lead with three furlongs to run and he stopped the clock at 1:08.10 for six furlongs.“I was very happy to see three horses (Distinctiv Passion, Big Macher and Secret Circle) in a speed duel,” said Talamo. “I just stayed outside and he wasn’t even getting any dirt in his face. What a race he ran. We were high on his last race, when he ran second to Shared Belief (in the Grade I, seven furlong Malibu, Dec. 26) and I know a lot of people thought that was a fluke, but he really ran that same race again today.”Off at 5-1 in a field six older older horses, Conquest Two Step paid $13.00, $5.40 and $3.20. Owned by Conquest Stables, LLC, he improved his overall record to 10-3-5-1 and with the winner’s share of $120,000, increased his earnings to $309,408.“They set it up nice for him,” said Casse. “I was smiling pretty big down the backside watching those three go at it. I thought he was a big price based on his last effort, but I understand everybody likes to see two in a row.”A winner of the 2013 Breeders’ Cup Sprint, Bob Baffert’s Secret Circle, who ran a disappointing fourth in the Grade III, 6 ½ furlong Midnight Lute Stakes, added blinkers and ran a much improved race under Martin Garcia as he pressed the pace, made the lead at the quarter pole and finished 2 ¼ lengths clear of Wild Dude.The second choice at 2-1, Secret Circle paid $4.00 and $3.00.Ridden by Rafael Bejarano, Wild Dude was off at 3-1 and rallied from off the pace for third money, paying $3.00 to show.Distinctiv Passion, who broke from the rail and was the 2-1 favorite with Mike Smith, tired to finish fourth, 3 ¼ lengths behind Wild Dude. Big Macher, overlayed at 6-1 off a morning line of 5-2, checked in fourth, 3 ½ lengths behind Distinctiv Passion.Fractions on the race were 21.21, 43.54 and 55.61.