To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Reports that some council members from Europe’s governing body UEFA might be leaning towards Colombia have caused some late jitters Down Under, however, and triggered memories of Australia’s ill-fated bid to host the 2022 men’s World Cup.”I am nervous to be honest,” Australia captain Sam Kerr told the Sydney Morning Herald. “I am just nervous.”If successful, the opening ceremony of the ninth Women’s World Cup would take place on July 10, 2023 at Auckland’s Eden Park with the final at Sydney’s Stadium Australia a month later.New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and her Australian counterpart Scott Morrison will lead the bid’s final charm offensive ahead of the vote, which will take place by video conference because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Sydney Opera House and Auckland’s Sky Tower were lit up in blue and green to celebrate the joint Australian-New Zealand bid to host the 2032 Women’s World Cup on Thursday, just a few hours before FIFA makes its decision.The “AsOne” bid is up against Colombia in a vote by 35 members of FIFA’s ruling council with a result expected at around 1600 GMT, which will be 2 a.m. on Friday on the east coast of Australia and 4 a.m. in New Zealand.The Australasian bid was installed as a strong favorite to bring one of FIFA’s showpiece tournaments to the region for the first time after a bid evaluation report rated it 4.1 out of five to 2.8 for Colombia’s proposal. Topics :
Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 2 Oct 2019 2:01 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Comment Emiliano Martinez is currently Arsenal’s cup goalkeeper but wants Bernd Leno’s No.1 shirt (Picture: Getty)Emiliano Martinez has warned Bernd Leno he is not content playing second fiddle to the Germany international.The former Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper has firmly established himself as Arsenal’s No.1 and was one of the few players to emerge from Monday’s 1-1 draw against Manchester United at Old Trafford with any credit.With Petr Cech having retired at the end of last season and David Ospina joining Napoli on a permanent basis, Martinez has been promoted up the Arsenal goalkeeping pecking order.The 27-year-old has been forced to bid his time for opportunities having joined Arsenal seven years ago and been sent out on loan to six different clubs.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMartinez has kept two clean sheets in cup competitions this season and was earlier this week rewarded with his first call-up to the senior Argentina squad, but he insists he is still hungry for more.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalHe said: ‘That’s [being No.1] is what I’m working for. We’ve worked really hard. To play for Arsenal you have to challenge everyone. Matt challenges me and I challenge Bernd.‘I don’t know if people aren’t taking the Europa League seriously, it’s a great competition… We always take it really seriously.‘Since I signed for this club my goal was always to be a No.1. I’ve been here for 10 years, I came as a young boy and now I’m a grown man.‘Some loans were good, some were bad. That’s the dream, I won’t stop until I’m the No.1 for Argentina.‘Do I feel I’m the best? Of course. If you want to be the No.1 you have to.‘Sal and Javi have taken me to another level, I’m very grateful but my goals are to go higher.’Is Emi Martinez good enough to be Arsenal’s No.1?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsMORE: The real reason former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger sold Serge GnabryMORE: Arsenal scouts to watch transfer target Dominik Szoboszlai in action against Liverpool Advertisement Emiliano Martinez sends warning to Arsenal teammate Bernd Leno
Polar Onyx, one of GC Rieber’s vesselsA lawsuit by former employees of Norwegian offshore shipping firm GC Rieber Shipping against the company has been dismissed by a court in Bergen.Following the liquidation of GC Rieber’s subsidiaries, GC Rieber Crewing AS (GCRC) and GC Rieber Shipping AS (GCRS), the company was sued by a number of former employees who lost their jobs as a result.GC Rieber said on Tuesday that the Bergen District Court ruled in favor of GCRC and GCRS with each of the parties being liable for its own legal costs.According to the company, the court ruling may be appealed within one month. As per the report, 17 former employees had filed the lawsuit in the Bergen District Court (Bergen Tingrett).
Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien insists that misfiring Fernando Torres has the full support of his team-mates despite going 10 games without scoring since his arrival in January.Torres was expected to help fire Chelsea back into the title race after his £50 million transfer but the striker has struggled to form a partnership with Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka and has yet to hit the back of the net for his new club.Essien, however, has revealed he expects the Spanish international to start scoring soon and that he has the backing of the rest of the Blues squad.“To be honest, we’re not concerned. We know it’s going to come,” he told Sky Sports.“He’s been working very hard and has everyone’s support. We just have to be patient. He’ll start scoring for us in time.Essien explained that he still felt Torres was one of the best strikers in the world and was looking forward to seeing him get back into his old ways to prove his hefty transfer fee. “Nando is one of the best strikers in the world at this moment,” he continued.“When he starts scoring, all the noise about him will stop. It’s just a matter of time.“Coming into a new club, he needs to settle. The players and the club have no doubts about him. We know he’s going to deliver.”Source: Goal.com
Eight promising young players will represent England against Spain in the mixed U16 international at Woodhall Spa Golf Club, Lincolnshire, on the weekend of 25-26 May.They are Rafiah Banday of Surrey (pictured), Libby Bell and Rachel Gourley of Northumberland, Patience Rhodes of Somerset, Joshua Berry of Yorkshire, Jack Bigham and Reis Suart of Hertfordshire and Dubai-based Josh Hill.They are following in the footsteps of players such as Tommy Fleetwood, Matt Fitzpatrick, Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston and Melissa Reid, who all figured in the match back in their early amateur days.The match started as a curtain raiser to the North of England U16 Championship, with England enjoying much success in the encounters at Pannal and Heswall.It was expanded five years ago into a stand-alone two-day match and since then the Spanish have won four times: at Madrid in 2014, ’16 and ’18, as well as at Seacroft, Lincolnshire, in 2015. England won at Preston in 2017.The team:Rafiah Banday (Royal Mid-Surrey) also played in this match last year. She was joint runner-up in the 2018 English U16 Girls’ Championship and fourth in the North of England U16s.Libby Bell (Gosforth Park Ladies) tied fifth in the recent R&A Girls’ U16 Amateur at Fulford and had good finishes in the Scottish and Irish Girls’ Championships.Rachel Gourley (Arcot Hall) tied 11th in the Girls’ U16 Amateur. In 2018 she was runner up in the Scottish U14 and fourth in the English U14 championships.Patience Rhodes (Burnham & Berrow) also shared 11th place in the Girls’ U16 Amateur. She was runner-up in the 2018 English U14 Girls’ Championship and is the new Somerset women’s champion.Joshua Berry (Doncaster) was fourth in the recent French U14 Boys’ Championship – which he won last year – and third in the Cyprus Junior Open.Jack Bigham (Redbourn) was eighth in the U18 Peter McEvoy Trophy at Copt Heath and tied 28th in last weekend’s Fairhaven Trophies.Josh Hill (Dubai) helped England win the 2018 Boys’ Home Internationals and is playing for England this weekend in the boys’ international against France.Reis Suart (Welwyn Garden City) was third in the Midlands U16 Championship and fifth in last year’s English U14 Reid Trophy.Image copyright Leaderboard Photography Tags: England teams, England U16s v Spain 10 May 2019 England teenagers will take on Spain
FAMOUS FAN–Jarvis Jones, the top 2013 NFL draft prospect from Georgia, is interviewed after the unveiling of a “Smokehouse BBQ Chicken” statue in his likeness, right, to announce his official Subway’s Famous Fan title on April 23, in New York. Jarvis joins a roster of fellow “Famous Fans” that include Robert Griffin III, Justin Tuck, Michael Strahan, Ndamukong Suh, Blake Griffin and Michael Phelps. More than 10 pounds of chicken were used to create the work of art, made by artist James Victor of Conshohocken, Pa. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews) Editor’s Note: To keep up with the latest news, opinion, lifestyles, sports and entertainment go to the Apple Store or Google Play and download the New Pittsburgh Courier App for iPhone, iPad or android devices. It’s free! Check it out and let us know what you think! by Smokin’ Jim FrazierWhen the Pittsburgh Steelers used their first-round pick to select Georgia’s outside linebacker, Jarvis Jones, it became the “shot heard ‘round the Worilds”,Jason Worilds became the starter for the Steelers at right outside linebacker after James Harrison was released.Worilds now must utilize every moment of this offseason to prepare to battle Jones for the job.Jones, (6-2, 245) began his collegiate career at USC in 2009. He decided to transfer to Georgia in 2010 after not receiving medical clearance to return to football from USC doctors due to spinal stenosis.Jones earned first-team All-America honors in 2011. He led the nation in sacks in 2012.Jones will compete with Worilds, Chris Carter, Marshall McFadden and Adrian Robinson to determine who starts outside along with LaMarr Woodley.